Re: [osdldbt-general] Re: Seeking information about

От Mary Edie Meredith
Тема Re: [osdldbt-general] Re: Seeking information about
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 22:06, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi Mary,
>
> Are you talking about something more "realtime" than pg_dumpall?

Yes, definitely.

> You may be wondering "why the heck haven't they added this before?"...
> just imagine this scenario... we *very rarely* encounter database
> failures that aren't hardware related, and pretty much any decent admin
> has a good backup schedule in place.

True.

I guess I'm trying to understand what is the "good backup schedule" and
procedure in the case of PostgreSQL.

Let's say I cannot afford to lose more than one day of updates.  It
appears that I need to backup nightly the entire database.  Whether you
use either pg_dumpall or you backup by simply coping the files,  this
approach does not scale for enterprise size databases.  For the copy
scheme the database has to be down, effecting availability.  The restore
for pg_dumpall would be longer than for the copy scheme since the
indexes have to be reconstructed.  An enterprise database system would
have lots equipment to avoid single points of failure, but they still
happen, human mistakes happen (oops I deleted the table!) , etc, etc, so
you still have to do the backups.

If the loss of a day's work is too costly, you will be faced with
backing up even more frequently.

> PITR is definitely a needed thing though, so that we can support those
> businesses where every bit of data can't afford to be lost after the
> COMMIT.  There are other solutions presently (replication, various
> hardware things, etc), but PITR is the best move forwards.

Point in time recovery will certainly solve the issue.  However, PITR is
really more than I was asking to get.  I was just asking for a way to
recover to the last commit (RTTLC).

In this scenario (I don't expect this to be big news to anyone, I'm just
explaining what I was hoping to find) there is one full backup made
occasionally.  The updates from that point are saved in an archived
log.  This is usually done with the database up.  In a failure
situation, you have to restore from the full backup and re-run the
updates from the archived logs.  You have to run all of them to get a
consistent database back.   The frequency of full backups is determined
by how long you are willing to wait to do a restore.

PITR is more precise in that you can run the archived logs up to the
point that you want (like before you deleted that table).

So recovering to a specific point in time is still _very desirable and
totally superior, I am just used to seeing RTTLC appear first as
features evolve in database development and was expecting to see it
called out separately in the TODO list.

My conclusion from the responses so far is that the community is
planning to deliver RTTLC as part of PITR.

BTW, thanks to all for your patient and kind responses.  You can't
imagine how _much it is appreciated.