Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: No flamefest please, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL AGAIN
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 10:32, Tom Lane wrote:
> timeless postgres <pvspam-postgres@hacklab.net> writes:
> > 1. Replication -- Supposedly Postgres-R was to be merged into 7.2?
> >    Did this happen? Is the pgsql.com offering still the only game
> >    in town? (pgsql.com was down at the time I wrote this)
>
> Postgres-R hasn't been merged, and I see no prospect that it will appear
> in 7.4 either.  Possibly 7.5.  In the meantime, third-party solutions
> are still your only option, and PostgreSQL Inc's one is probably the
> best.

I wouldn't say they are your only options. there is the rserv code in
contrib which I've seen people post they have gotten working. There is
also the usogres stuff that I have heard of a few people using. While
none of these are considered "ready for prime time" by the core group, I
don't think they should be ignored. If more people tried using them and
submitted some patches, we might get a solid replication solution that
much sooner.

I also feel I should point out that in a lot of the cases I have seen
mysql replication used because they couldn't get a single mysql instance
to scale up enough.  Given that postgresql scales so well, it cuts down
on the need to have a replication solution, which is probably part of
the reason why we have gone so long without one.

Robert Treat