Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3

От Will LaShell
Тема Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hey guys,

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 13:19, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Shankar K wrote:
>
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > Could you please share with us the problems you had
> > with linux 7.3
> >
> > would be really interested to know the kernel configs
> > and ext3 filesystem modes
>
> Actually, I had a couple of problems with it, one of which was that I
> couldn't get it to book with ext3 file systems properly.  I think it was
> something to do with ext3 on linux kernel RAID sets that wouldn't work
> right.  There's probably a fix for it, but 7.2 is pretty stable, and we
> can wait for 8.0 or maybe look at another distro.

Normally I stay far far away from the distro wars / filesystem
discussions. However I'd like to offer information about the systems we
use here at OFS. The 2 core database servers  are a matched pair of
system with the following statistics.
Dual AMD MP 1800's
Tyan Thunder K7x motherboard
LSI Megaraid Elite 1650 controller w/ battery pack & 128 Mb cache
5 Seagate Cheetak 10k 36 Gig drives  Configured in a raid 1+0 w/ hot
spare.

Both are using the stock redhat 7.3 kernel w/ the latest LSI megaraid
drivers and firmware.

The postgresql cluster itself contains the records and information
necessary to process loans and loan applications.

We are using rserv ( from contrib ) to replicate data from three
databases in the cluster between the two servers. ( Hahah, I think we
may be the only people using this in production or something.  )

At any rate we use ext3 on the filesystems and we've had no problems at
all with the systems. Everything is stable and runs. We keep the
machines running and available 24/7 with scheduled downtime transitions
to the redundant servers as we need to for whatever kind of
enhancements.

The largest table in the cluster btw, has 4.2 million tuples in it and
its the rserv log table.

Hope this gives you some additional information to base your decisions
on.

Sincerely,
Will LaShell

<snip>

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] OSS database needed for testing
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] OSS database needed for testing