Re: pg_dump version conflict

От Tom Haddon
Тема Re: pg_dump version conflict
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Andrew,

Yeah, I'd tried the installing a private instance idea, and it seemed to
make the most sense, as it was on a Virtual Private Server.
Unfortunately, the gmake failed as it doesn't have "sort" installed. It
had taken me a while with tech support to get them to install GCC and
gmake, and I figured this was just going to take me too much time to get
through - if "sort" wasn't installed, god knows what else wasn't.

I'm currently investigating other web hosting companies.

Any recommendations. Lower end of pricing (>$30/month) appreciated?

Thanks, Tom

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 12:17, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 02:24:22PM -0800, Tom Haddon wrote:
> > Do you know how I'd find out how to alter the dump file to work for
> > 7.1.2?
>
> I'm afraid what Robert Treat said: try loading, find the error, and
> keep making changes til it works.
>
> Could you convince them to let you install a private version of
> Postgres, and use that?  Installing Postgres without root is a little
> tricky, but not real hard.  The only thing you really need root for
> is adding the init script.
>
> I tend to agree with the other thing Robert said: that someone who
> makes you stick with 7.1.2 is not providing the sort of support you
> likely want.  If nothing else, the VACUUM change alone is worth
> chucking 7.1.x overboard.  We saw a huge performance improvement when
> we went from 7.1.3 to 7.2.2.  Part of that was just our freedom from
> the old vacuum code, which caused us to have to neglect some tables
> because of the cost of vacuuming them more often.

> --
> ----
> Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
> Liberty RMS                           Toronto, Ontario Canada
> <andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8
>                                          +1 416 646 3304 x110

Tom Haddon
The Better Health Foundation