Re: Postgres performance slowly gets worse over a month

От Marcos Garcia
Тема Re: Postgres performance slowly gets worse over a month
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
My apologies, to all that told me that the reindex was the solution to
prevent the grouth of the database.

I had a script that i thought that would reindex my database, but wasn't
true.

I figure out ,that the grouth of my database was due to the indexes with
the following sql command:

dbname=# select relname, relpages,reltuples from pg_class order by
relpages desc limit 50;
             relname             | relpages | reltuples
---------------------------------+----------+-----------
 sms_recv_unique_idclimsgidclien |    55800 |     39259
 sms_recv_pkey                   |    39810 |     38948
 sms_send_pkey                   |    22828 |     52048

The relpages * 8 Kbytes, gives =~ the disk space used  by the
index/table (correct me if i'm wrong). As we can see from the query
result the disk space used by the indexes is very high.

After doing the reindex of the tables, that values droped down, as well
as the space used by the database.

Query result after reindex:

dbname=# select relname, relpages,reltuples from pg_class order by
relpages desc limit 50;

             relname             | relpages | reltuples
---------------------------------+----------+-----------
 sms_recv_unique_idclimsgidclien |      222 |     40581
 sms_recv_pkey                   |      174 |     40581
 sms_send_pkey                   |      430 |     54004

As a conclusion, in databases with high turn-around the use of reindex
is imperative, combined with vacuums.

Thanks to all,

M.P.Garcia

Do not forget to reindex the db after the delete, index's do not
manage them selves(if I remember correctly).  The index will continue
to grow until it eats your file system, as it did with me.

    By Marc Spitzer

--
M.P.Garcia
PT Inovação, SA