Missing or Erroneous pg_hba.conf file

От acchung@mit.edu
Тема Missing or Erroneous pg_hba.conf file
Дата
Re: Missing or Erroneous pg_hba.conf file  ("Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,
I was trying to alter my pg_hba.conf file so that I could
take off trust and use passwords.  I edited it inside wordpad
and saved it but it gave me some warning that said I'm saving it in Text-Only
format and that would remove all formatting. Not know how else to save,
i clicked ok.  then i read that i needed to send a SIGHUP signal for the
postmaster to recognize the editted files.  I typed in

pg_ctl reload -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

postgres@E52BPS588R /
$ pg_ctl reload -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
postmaster successfully signaled

THen when i typed in psql template1, i get

postgres@E52BPS588R /
$ psql template1
psql: FATAL 1:  Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for de
tails

How do I get my pg_hba.conf file back to normal?  Also in the future,
how should i send my SIGHUP signal , because my command is not correct.
PLEASE HELP QUICK!
thank you.

Alex