Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Daniel Migowski, )
 Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Franco Bruno Borghesi, )
    Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Franco Bruno Borghesi, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Vivek Khera, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Bruce Momjian, )

Franco Bruno Borghesi <> writes:
> wouldn't also increasing shared_buffers to 64 or 128 MB be a good
> performance improvement? This way, pages belonging to heavily used
> indexes would be already cached by the database itself.

Not necessarily.  The trouble with large shared_buffers settings is you
end up with lots of pages being doubly cached (both in PG's buffers and
in the kernel's disk cache), thus wasting RAM.  If we had a portable way
of preventing the kernel from caching the same page, it would make more
sense to run with large shared_buffers.