Re: TOAST performance (was Re: [GENERAL] Delete

От Andrew McMillan
Тема Re: TOAST performance (was Re: [GENERAL] Delete
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 10:11, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > Tom Lane wrote
> >
> >> I did some experimentation here and found a rather surprising
> >> dependency: the time to delete a bunch of data is pretty much
> >> directly proportional to the disk space it occupies.  This says
> >> that we're paying through the nose for having XLOG make copies
> >> of about-to-be-modified pages.
> >
> Can't we somehow WAL only metadata and not the actual pages for
> DELETEs - as delete is essentially (though currently not technically)
> just metadata it should be a possible thing to do.

Is it possible to do ordered writes, the way ext3 does?

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs7/

Is an interesting article discussing the approach.

Regards,                Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267