Re: SSL/TLS instead of SSL in docs

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: SSL/TLS instead of SSL in docs
Дата
Re: SSL/TLS instead of SSL in docs  (Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 15.06.21 15:59, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Looking at the docs it turns out that we have a mix of SSL (with one ssl),
> SSL/TLS and TLS for referring to the same thing.  The attached changes the
> documentation to consistently use SSL/TLS when referring to an encrypted
> connection using a TLS protocol, leaving bare SSL and TLS only for referring to
> the actual protocols.  I*think*  I found all instances, there are many so I
> might have missed some, but this version seemed like a good place to continue
> the discussion from the previous thread.

I am not in favor of this direction.  I think it just adds tediousness
and doesn't really help anyone.  If we are worried about correct
terminology, then we should just change everything to TLS.  If we are
not, then saying SSL is enough.

I note that popular places such as the Apache and nginx SSL/TLS modules
just use SSL in their documentation, and they are probably under much
more scrutiny in this area.  curl is a bit more inconsistent but also
generally just uses SSL.  So it seems not a lot of people are really
bothered by this.