Re: SSL/TLS instead of SSL in docs

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: SSL/TLS instead of SSL in docs
Дата
Re: SSL/TLS instead of SSL in docs  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 30 Jun 2021, at 20:20, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> I am not in favor of this direction.  I think it just adds tediousness and doesn't really help anyone.  If we are
worriedabout correct terminology, then we should just change everything to TLS.

I actually think SSL/TLS has won the debate of "correct terminology" for
describing a secure connection encrypted by a TLS protocol.

> If we are not, then saying SSL is enough.

I think consistency is the interesting aspect here.  We already have a mix of
SSL, TLS and SSL/TLS (although heavily skewed towards SSL) so we should settle
on one and stick to it.  The arguments in the NSS thread which led to this
pointed to SSL/TLS.  If we feel that the churn isn't worth it, then we should
change all to SSL and perhaps instead just add TLS as indexterms to those
sections.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: New committers: Daniel Gustafsson and John Naylor
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: Multiple pg_waldump --rmgr options