Re: Online enabling of checksums

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Online enabling of checksums
Дата
Re: Online enabling of checksums  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 08/01/2018 10:40 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 31.07.2018, 18:56 -0400 schrieb Alvaro Herrera:
>> The ability to get checksums enabled is a killer feature; the
>> ability to do it with no restart ... okay, it's better than
>> requiring a restart, but it's not *that* big a deal.
>
> Well, it's a downtime and service interruption from the client's POV,
> and arguably we should remove the 'online' from the patch subject
> then. You can activate checksums on an offline instance already via
> the pg_checksums extensions to pg_verify_checksums that Michael
> Paquier and I wrote independently; of course, that downtime will be
> linerarily longer the more data you have.

IMHO the main work still happens while the instance is running, so I
don't see why the restart would make it "not online".

But keeping or not keeping "online" is not the main dilemma faced by
this patch, I think. That is, if we drop "online" from the name I doubt
it'll make it any more acceptable for those objecting to having to
restart the cluster.

> If this was one week before feature freeze, I would agree with you
> that it makes sense to ship it with the restart requirement rather
> than not shipping it at all. But we're several commitfests away from
> v12, so making an effort to having this work without a downtime
> looks like a reasonable requirement to me.

Why would all those pieces had to be committed at once? Why not to
commit what we have now (with the restart) and then remove the
restriction in a later commit?

I understand the desire to be able to enable checksums without a
restart, but kinda agree with Alvaro regarding incremental development.

In a way, the question is how far can we reasonably push the patch
author(s) to implement stuff we consider desirable, but he/she/they
decided it's not worth the time investment at this point.

To me, it seems like an immensely useful feature even with the restart,
and I don't think the restart is a major burden for most systems (it can
be, if your system has no maintenance windows, or course).

regards