Re: Online enabling of checksums

От Michael Banck
Тема Re: Online enabling of checksums
Дата
Re: Online enabling of checksums  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 31.07.2018, 18:56 -0400 schrieb Alvaro Herrera:
> The ability to get checksums enabled is a killer feature; the ability to
> do it with no restart ... okay, it's better than requiring a restart,
> but it's not *that* big a deal.

Well, it's a downtime and service interruption from the client's POV,
and arguably we should remove the 'online' from the patch subject then.
You can activate checksums on an offline instance already via the
pg_checksums extensions to pg_verify_checksums that Michael Paquier and
I wrote independently; of course, that downtime will be linerarily
longer the more data you have.

If this was one week before feature freeze, I would agree with you that
it makes sense to ship it with the restart requirement rather than not
shipping it at all. But we're several commitfests away from v12, so
making an effort to having this work without a downtime looks like a
reasonable requirement to me.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz