Re: Online enabling of checksums

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Online enabling of checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-08-01 11:15:38 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 08/01/2018 10:40 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
> > If this was one week before feature freeze, I would agree with you
> > that it makes sense to ship it with the restart requirement rather
> > than not shipping it at all. But we're several commitfests away from
> > v12, so making an effort to having this work without a downtime
> > looks like a reasonable requirement to me.
> >

> Why would all those pieces had to be committed at once? Why not to
> commit what we have now (with the restart) and then remove the
> restriction in a later commit?

Sure, if all the pieces existed in various degrees of solidness (with
the earlier pieces committable, but later ones needing work), I'd feel
*much* less concerned about it.

> In a way, the question is how far can we reasonably push the patch
> author(s) to implement stuff we consider desirable, but he/she/they
> decided it's not worth the time investment at this point.

We push people to only implement something really consistent all the
time.

> To me, it seems like an immensely useful feature even with the restart,
> and I don't think the restart is a major burden for most systems (it can
> be, if your system has no maintenance windows, or course).

I think it a problem, my problem is more that I don't think it's really
a solution for the problem.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: Online enabling of checksums
Сообщение: Re: Online enabling of checksums