Re: Starting PostgreSQL 7.3.4 with Webmin on Mandrake 9.1

От mathan
Тема Re: Starting PostgreSQL 7.3.4 with Webmin on Mandrake 9.1
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> from command line (as root) I successfully did it with:
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> but when I run it with Webmin I get:
> Failed to start database server :
>
> "root" execution of the PostgreSQL server is not permitted.

To run postmaster from Webmin use "su postgres -c" before the command,
because use cant run the postmaster as "root"

        It will be better to add "-i" to enable TCP/IP connections,  "-S"
for silent mode (start in background without logging output). so use this
command in Webmin settings.

    Command to start PostgreSQL:
        su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -S -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data"

> also, I would be glad to read what is the command for starting
> Postgres in bootup. can I use the same command?

        For starting postmaster in bootup, you have to write rc script, For
MySQL this script comes with source code, but here you have to write this
script. But its not a good idea to start postgmaster in bootup

thanks
--mathan

---