Обсуждение: Starting PostgreSQL 7.3.4 with Webmin on Mandrake 9.1

Starting PostgreSQL 7.3.4 with Webmin on Mandrake 9.1

От
Raigo77@solo.delfi.ee (Raigo)
Дата:
I just installed PostgreSQL 7.3.4 (new default install) and setting up
Webmin to be able to administrate it. Postgres is installed to default
location /usr/local/pgsql

My question: what is the correct command for starting PostgreSQL
server with Webmin and for bootup?

from command line (as root) I successfully did it with:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

but when I run it with Webmin I get:
Failed to start database server :

"root" execution of the PostgreSQL server is not permitted.

The server must be started under an unprivileged user id to prevent
a possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
more information on how to properly start the server.

in install documentation I have options:
1)/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
and
2)nohup /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data \
            </dev/null >>server.log 2>&1 </dev/null &

the second one didn't work from command line either for me.

I also tried with:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
I get No such file or directory.

 What is the correct way to do it?

also, I would be glad to read what is the command for starting
Postgres in bootup. can I use the same command?

thanks for all ideas.

Re: Starting PostgreSQL 7.3.4 with Webmin on Mandrake 9.1

От
"mathan"
Дата:
> from command line (as root) I successfully did it with:
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> but when I run it with Webmin I get:
> Failed to start database server :
>
> "root" execution of the PostgreSQL server is not permitted.

To run postmaster from Webmin use "su postgres -c" before the command,
because use cant run the postmaster as "root"

        It will be better to add "-i" to enable TCP/IP connections,  "-S"
for silent mode (start in background without logging output). so use this
command in Webmin settings.

    Command to start PostgreSQL:
        su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -S -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data"

> also, I would be glad to read what is the command for starting
> Postgres in bootup. can I use the same command?

        For starting postmaster in bootup, you have to write rc script, For
MySQL this script comes with source code, but here you have to write this
script. But its not a good idea to start postgmaster in bootup

thanks
--mathan

---