Re: Fwd: Stalled post to pgsql-general

От Mark Cowlishaw
Тема Re: Fwd: Stalled post to pgsql-general
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> help
> Hi,
> It would work fine to have a web interface in case the
> application could be developed with that...  In fact,
> we had started working on the project with PG and Java
> Servlets et al...  However, we ran into problems after
> a month of designing and actual implementaiton work
> was over only because the browser / HTML is too
> static...
> a.  Extensive coding is reqd. for datatypes
> validations on all forms and reports for filtering,
> etc.

True you have to do server-side validation, but then if you're sensible
you'll be doing that anyway regardless of your client side validation (what
about when people turn javascript off for example?).

> b.  Added functionality would result in havoc for
> adding features like Grids as in MS-Access like
> forms-subforms and browsing thru such records in order

Yup, HTML forms are a bit lacking in that regard.. you may consider java
applets running in the browser for that kind of functionality, or maybe some
DHTML..

> c.  Non-use of client-side processing capacity i.e.,
> under-utilisation and over-burdening the server which
> would in case of client-server be just handling data
> which would make it much more reliable

This is questionable, dynamic clients such as an Access/VB front-end talking
to a SQL backend will probably be running a LOT of queries dynamically
datafilling drop-down menus etc, plus you've got the network overhead you
wouldnt have when running the application code on the same box as the SQL
server.

> d.  The client would not shell out a single penny when
> I tell him that two servers would be ideal for him...
> One for handling data the other for handling http
> requests

Why need two servers? Apache (or PostgreSQL) doesn't take that much
overhead. If they expect so much traffic they need two servers, surely they
expect to spend some money somewhere?!

> e.  Moving away from Windows is impossible fof him...
> He has not heard that there is any other OS other than
> Windows

Okay if they have a windows fixation, Access/VB Frontend tied in with ODBC
is a possibility. But then, I dont think the web interface is completely
ruled out by your arguments. Alternatively there's always the java
application frontend (or applets running in a browser).

> f.  The client is not a jackass...  I cant conn him...
>  He knows what all he wants in his software

Well he has a pre-formed opinion that the solution -will-be-windows- ..
whatever that means. Give him an Access Frontend if that will make him
happy. Making bosses happy can be a good thing and you can do worse than
Access for a rapid development environment.

> g.  I am keen on PG/Interbase

PG works for me. Can't say I have experience with Interbase.

> h.  I KNOW YOU CAN HELP... SO, KINDLY DO

Well you have to do -some- work yourself ;-)

> i.  This MS-Office interface you are talking about...
> That would involve a lot of wizardry/programming...

Installing the ODBC drivers does not take wizardry, nor does figuring out
table linking in Access, nor mail merging in Word.