Re: Tab completion of SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION

От Michael Paesold
Тема Re: Tab completion of SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Csaba Nagy wrote:

> Is there any chance for psql opening a new session if it's inside a
> transaction and use that to do whatever querying is needed ? Just
> something like the control connection on ftp (analogy not very good).
> That could cause other surprises though (could fail for example due to
> too many connections open), and I have no idea about psql internals so
> it might be completely against it's philosophy...

Perhaps not multiple connections, but multiple transactions per connection,
like Oracle supports, AFAIK. All with a big ;-) of course. I doubt it would
be easy to implement that. The assumption one-connection-has-one-transaction
is probably pretty deeply burried in many backend components. Has this been
changed by the prepared-transactions stuff? I may be mistaken, which would
be very positive news.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold