Re: Postgres Backup Utility

От Bradley Holbrook
Тема Re: Postgres Backup Utility
Список pgsql-admin

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Marlowe [mailto:scott.marlowe@gmail.com]
Sent: January-20-11 7:40 AM
To: French, Martin
Cc: Bradley Holbrook; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Postgres Backup Utility

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:00 AM, French, Martin <frenchm@cromwell.co.uk>
wrote:
> Having been a C/C++ developer many years before being a DBA, and
> having written ITIL software; How is migrating structure from a
> Development database to a test database whilst maintaining test data
backwards?

It's not.  doing by running diffs on ddl / schema is.

This is what the OP asked for:

"I need to be able to quickly apply the structure updates from a development
database to a testing database, and do selective data updates (like on
lookup tables, but not content tables)."

> Besides, the OP was asking how to diff to databases and create ddl,
> not asking for us to comment on why he's doing it. Personally, I'd
> rather

Re-read what he asked for.  He did not ask how to run diffs of schema, he
asked how to update it with changes from a test database.  The best way to
do this is to check in changes to the database and lookup tables so the DBA
can then apply them when needed to the various other databases.

But hey, feel free to answer a question the OP didn't ask with an answer he
doesn't need.