RE: how do I set DateStyle = European in postmaster ?

От Gary Stainburn
Тема RE: how do I set DateStyle = European in postmaster ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
-----Original Message-----
From:    Michael Holopainen [SMTP:michael@laserle.fi]
Sent:    Friday, July 07, 2000 12:22 PM
To:    Gary Stainburn
Subject:    Re: [ADMIN] how do I set DateStyle = European in postmaster ?

>OK, here is the script (the whole postgres script)
>
>--- >8
>#!/bin/sh
>
>case "$1" in
>'start')
>        su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -o \"-S -i\"

Okay, you've got me, I've never seen it done that way before.  Every
setup I've ever seen calls postmaster directly.  However, try these two
options and hopefully one of them should do what you want.  If you wish,
you could combine both of them using the belt and braces notion

su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -o \"-S -i -e\" start"
or (all 1 line - remove the '\')
su - postgres -c "export lang=en_GB ; /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctrl \
    -o \"-S -i -e \" start"

It would be tidier to do

su - postgres -c 'export lang=en_GB ; /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctrl \
    -o "-S -i -e" start'

again as one line.  Using the single quotes for the outside means that
you don't have to escape the inner quotes and makes the line easier to
read.

>start"
>        ;;
>'stop')
>        su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl stop"
>        ;;
>*)
>        echo "Usage: $0 { start | stop }"
>        ;;
>esac
>exit 0
>--- >8
>
>I didn't do it, I just need to live with it ;).
>It's pg 7.0 & 2.2.14 (suse 6.4) linux.
>
>All suggestions will be greatly appreaciated , also any ideas why
>postgres stops accepting connections from unix port ?
>When I start pg, I can connect to the base with psql OK. but the next
>day it no longer accept connections from the default port and I need to
>pass -h localhost to be able to connect to database.
>(all above is done while logged in as user 'postgres')

Sorry, I can't help here.  Have you looked to see what happens overnight
that could affect it's behaviour as something must be causing it.

>-micahel (A)

Gary Stainburn.
Work: http://www.ringways.co.uk mailto:gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk
REVCOM: http://www.revcom.org.uk mailto:gary.stainburn@revcom.org.uk
Murphy's Laws: (326) If it jams - force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.