AW: AW: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion

От [Quipsy] Markus Karg
Тема AW: AW: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion
Дата
Re: AW: AW: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion
Список pgsql-general
I am giving up. While even `SELECT current_schemas(true)` correctly prints `xxx, pg_catalog` it still uses the original
bittype. This is completely NOT as described in the documentation, where it is clearly told that pg_catalog only is
searchedimmediately if NOT found in the search path. It seems it is simply impossible to run this application on
PostgreSQL,and we have to stick with a different RDBMS. Very sad.

-Markus

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Erik Wienhold <ewie@ewie.name>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 15. August 2023 16:28
An: [Quipsy] Markus Karg <karg@quipsy.de>; pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org
Betreff: Re: AW: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion

> On 15/08/2023 14:02 CEST [Quipsy] Markus Karg <karg@quipsy.de> wrote:
>
> I just tried out your proposal on PostgreSQL 15.3 and this is the result:
>
> ERROR:  column "c" is of type bit but expression is of type integer
> LINE 5:   INSERT INTO t VALUES (1);
>                                 ^
> HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.
>
> Apparently the search path is ignored?!

Hmm, I thought that Postgres resolves all types through the search path, but apparently that is not the case for
built-intypes.  I never used this to override built-in types so this is a surprise to me.  (And obviously I haven't
testedthe search path feature before posting.)

Neither [1] or [2] mention that special (?) case or if there's a distinction between built-in types and user-defined
types. The USAGE privilege is required according to [2] but I was testing as superuser anyway.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/ddl-schemas.html
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-SEARCH-PATH

--
Erik