Re: AW: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion

От Erik Wienhold
Тема Re: AW: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On 15/08/2023 14:02 CEST [Quipsy] Markus Karg <karg@quipsy.de> wrote:
>
> I just tried out your proposal on PostgreSQL 15.3 and this is the result:
>
> ERROR:  column "c" is of type bit but expression is of type integer
> LINE 5:   INSERT INTO t VALUES (1);
>                                 ^
> HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.
>
> Apparently the search path is ignored?!

Hmm, I thought that Postgres resolves all types through the search path, but
apparently that is not the case for built-in types.  I never used this to
override built-in types so this is a surprise to me.  (And obviously I haven't
tested the search path feature before posting.)

Neither [1] or [2] mention that special (?) case or if there's a distinction
between built-in types and user-defined types.  The USAGE privilege is required
according to [2] but I was testing as superuser anyway.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/ddl-schemas.html
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-SEARCH-PATH

--
Erik