Re: AW: AW: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion

От Erik Wienhold
Тема Re: AW: AW: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On 17/08/2023 09:31 CEST [Quipsy] Markus Karg <karg@quipsy.de> wrote:
>
> I am giving up. While even `SELECT current_schemas(true)` correctly prints
> `xxx, pg_catalog` it still uses the original bit type. This is completely
> NOT as described in the documentation, where it is clearly told that
> pg_catalog only is searched immediately if NOT found in the search path.
> It seems it is simply impossible to run this application on PostgreSQL, and
> we have to stick with a different RDBMS. Very sad.

built-intypes.  I never used this to override built-in types so this is a surprise to me.  (And obviously I haven't
testedthe search path feature before posting.)

> Neither [1] or [2] mention that special (?) case or if there's a distinction between built-in types and user-defined
types. The USAGE privilege is required according to [2] but I was testing as superuser anyway.

> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/ddl-schemas.html
> [2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-SEARCH-PATH

It looks like Postgres resolves standard SQL types without considering the
search path.  This could be a feature (perhaps mandated by the SQL standard?)
and not a bug if the rationale here is to avoid shadowing of standard types
with custom types so that type bit, for example, always behaves as the standard
bit type.

In the following script I create several domains in schema xxx: bit and float
match standard SQL type names, domain foo does not conflict with any built-in
type name, and inet is a built-in type but not a standard type.

    BEGIN;

    CREATE SCHEMA xxx;
    GRANT USAGE ON SCHEMA xxx TO current_user;

    CREATE DOMAIN xxx.bit AS int;
    CREATE DOMAIN xxx.float AS int;
    CREATE DOMAIN xxx.foo AS int;
    CREATE DOMAIN xxx.inet AS int;
    CREATE DOMAIN pg_catalog.foo AS int;
    \dD *.(bit|float|foo|inet)

    SET LOCAL search_path = xxx, pg_catalog;
    SELECT current_schemas(true);

    CREATE TABLE public.t (f1 bit, f2 float, f3 inet, f4 foo);

    SET LOCAL search_path = '';
    \d public.t

    ROLLBACK;

We see that table t is created with the standard SQL types instead of our
custom domains.  Only xxx.inet and xxx.foo are resolved according to the search
path.

    BEGIN
    CREATE SCHEMA
    GRANT
    CREATE DOMAIN
    CREATE DOMAIN
    CREATE DOMAIN
    CREATE DOMAIN
    CREATE DOMAIN
                                List of domains
       Schema   | Name  |  Type   | Collation | Nullable | Default | Check
    ------------+-------+---------+-----------+----------+---------+-------
     pg_catalog | foo   | integer |           |          |         |
     xxx        | bit   | integer |           |          |         |
     xxx        | float | integer |           |          |         |
     xxx        | foo   | integer |           |          |         |
     xxx        | inet  | integer |           |          |         |
    (4 rows)

    SET
     current_schemas
    ------------------
     {xxx,pg_catalog}
    (1 row)

    CREATE TABLE
    SET
                          Table "public.t"
     Column |       Type       | Collation | Nullable | Default
    --------+------------------+-----------+----------+---------
     f1     | bit(1)           |           |          |
     f2     | double precision |           |          |
     f3     | xxx.inet         |           |          |
     f4     | xxx.foo          |           |          |

    ROLLBACK

--
Erik

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Cast INTEGER to BIT confusion
От: Sai Teja
Сообщение: Re: Fatal Error : Invalid Memory alloc request size 1236252631