Re: Programming Languages

От Gary Stainburn
Тема Re: Programming Languages
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Chris,

This may not be the answer you're after, but have you tried Perl?  I now do
95% of my work using perl (although I still class myself as a beginner).

It's available for unix and Windows as well as some other platforms. Code
writen for one usually needs very few (or no) changes to run on another.

Perl is not a 4GL, but it's not a 3GL either.  I think of it more as a 3.5GL.
The main aim of perl is to do the stuff you shouldn't have to and let you get
straight on with writing your program.  On top of that there is the
Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN) which is a large collection of
modules that you can simply download and use.  Best of all, perl and CPAN are
free.

Add on top of that the perl module DBI.pm which is an abstract layer
providing perl with database access and DBD::Pg.pm which is the driver that
allows DBI to talk to PostgreSQL you have a *very* easy to use link to you
favourite RDBMS.

If you want to have a look at perl, go to http://www.perl.org, and
http://search.cpan.org for the CPAN.  There is a busy mailing
mailto:beginners@perl.org as well as a new spin-off beginners-cgi@perl.org
for people who are new to Perl.  These can be found at http://learn.perl.org.

covering all the ways you can connect to PostgreSQL, including DBI, ODBC etc.

Gary
On Tuesday 26 June 2001  3:56 pm, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in the last 12 years, I have been working with the Progress RDBMS and 4GL
> and I guess, I have been spoilt by the 4GL. Now, I'm concentrating my
> efforts on PostGreSQL but am showing terrible withdraw symptoms when it
> comes to writing programs.
>
> I would like to know if there are any efforts underway to develop anything
> in the direction of a 4GL - something which is not as involved as C/C++ but
> on the other hand flexible enough to write business applications.
>
> Any pointers to such a thing would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Chris

Gary Stainburn