Re: Upgrade woes

От Greg Kelley
Тема Re: Upgrade woes
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Sorry folks, brain fart - I had upgraded to 7.3 before the RH 8-9 fun.
Initial postmaster failure to start was because of a 'bad' shutdown or
something during the upgrade but a manual run of postmaster seems to have
cleand up the database - I thought it was a version issue.

Now if I can figure out why RH9 has blocked port 5432...???

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lamar Owen" <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>; "Greg Kelley"
<gkelley@britannicaviation.com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
Sent: 15 April, 2003 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Upgrade woes

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 09:56, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Kelley" <gkelley@britannicaviation.com> writes:
> > Upgraded RH8.0 to 9.0 last saturday. Then pgsql woldn't start - failed
> > using the /etc/rc.d/init.d script so I manually entered the command and
> > discovered that it had to fix the database due to not shutting down
> > properly(???). Now it starts just fine, but I can't connect.

> > psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused

> This is a kernel-level refusal.  Check your packet filtering setup --- I
> bet you have traffic to port 5432 filtered out :-(

Which is very easy to do with Red Hat Linux, since the install or upgrade
defaults to 'medium' security on the netfilter config.  Which is set to
block
5432 by default; not on localhost, though, IIRC.

However, there's something very disturbing here.  Greg, what version of
PostgreSQL were you running on RH8?  RH8 shipped with 7.2.2, with an errata
to 7.2.4.  Did you upgrade to 7.3.x at some point?

Tom, if he was running 7.2.x prior, the initscript is programmed to prevent
starting postmaster if the database structure is too old.  Why did
postmaster
subsequently startup when started manually, if he was running 7.2.x prior?

I sincerely hope you had upgraded to 7.3.x prior to upgrading to RHL 9, or
we
have something very bad going on here.

Since you are attempting to connect to localhost, why not just let it use
the
Unix domain socket (by not specifying the hostname) and see if that
connects?
This will tell us whether netfilter is interposing itself.

Greg, if you were running 7.2.x prior, RPMs for 7.2.4 built on RHL9 are
available by FTP from ftp.postgresql.org, in
/pub/binary/v7.2.4/RPMS/redhat-9

Please let us know what you have found out.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster