Install new language - Prev: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL

От Terence Chang
Тема Install new language - Prev: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Дата
Re: Install new language - Prev: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Folks:

I would like to thank for those who answer my questions. My client have
decide to switch from MySQL to PostgreSQL. I have successfully installed
PostgreSQL with Cygwin on my XP laptop. It's a good start. I, however, have
some other questions.

1. I am viewing the database from both PostgreSQL manager and PgAdmin III. I
can see there are three languages (C, Internal, SQL) in PostgreSQL, but not
in PgAdmin III. I login with the same user. Any idea?

2. Do I have to install new language "pl/pgSQL" in order to write functions?

3. When I start PostgreSQL, I found there are at least 4 instance of
postgres.exe running as NT services when there is not connection. Each
single one use different amount of memory. Is that normal?

4. The "stored procedure" term confused me. I did not see any "create
procedure" statement in the document. I used a lot of procedures/packages in
Oracle and MS-SQL. Are there such things in PostgreSQL? How do I do that in
PostgreSQL? Just use "Function"? I could not find examples on how to call a
"function" like "Exec MyFunctionName(......)".

5. I start PostgreSQL with the comman "pg_ctl start -D /var/pgsql/data" I
got the following message: It says the database was not shut down properly?
What I did wrong? I shut down the database with this command "pg_ctl stop -D
/var/pgsql/data -m immediate" when no connection exist.

$ LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2003-07-15 23:59:00 USMST
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/8C17D0
LOG:  redo record is at 0/8C17D0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
LOG:  next transaction id: 4428; next oid: 25168
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress

LOG:  ReadRecord: record with zero length at 0/8C1810
LOG:  redo is not required
LOG:  database system is ready

6. What kind of hardware configuration would you experts recommend for
application runnng on one stand along machine.
    -- Critical but not 24x7
    -- RedHat 8, 9?
    -- PHP 4
    -- Apache 2
    -- PostgreSQL 7.3.3
    -- ODBC
    -- up to 1500 pages hit and 1000 database hit (select/update/insert) per
minute.
    -- Expect up to 1GB data in the first year
    -- Expect to spend up to US $2000 for hardware (not include monitor)

7. Is there any experienced PostgreSQL DBA in Phoenix, Arizona USA? Please
contact me offline. My client would love to get some help from you on
administration/backup/restore stuff as an extra resource.

Can you image that I got my PostgreSQL setup and running in few hours. Cool!

Thanks! This mailling list is great! You people are great!

Terence Chang

Сообщение: Re: Postgresql "FIFO" Tables, How-To ?
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql "FIFO" Tables, How-To ?