Re: Install new language - Prev: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL

От Robert J. Sanford, Jr.
Тема Re: Install new language - Prev: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
For some of your Cygwin specific questions you may want to look at the ports
mailing list. They will be more knowledgeable there.

> I would like to thank for those who answer my questions.
> My client have decide to switch from MySQL to PostgreSQL.
> I have successfully installed PostgreSQL with Cygwin on
> my XP laptop. It's a good start. I, however, have some
> other questions.
>
> 1. I am viewing the database from both PostgreSQL manager
>    and PgAdmin III. I can see there are three languages
>    (C, Internal, SQL) in PostgreSQL, but not in PgAdmin
>    III. I login with the same user. Any idea?

I don't use PgAdmin so I can't answer your question.

> 2. Do I have to install new language "pl/pgSQL" in order
>    to write functions?

If you are wanting to write them in PL/pgSQL yes. There are several
command-line tools that allow you to do this without getting into the
database itself. You should read the Administrator's Guide PDF document that
can be found ...

Note - if you install any language in template1 all databases that you
create based on template1 from then on out will have those languages
installed by default. If you are like me and create databases based on
template0 you don't get the results you desired...

> 3. When I start PostgreSQL, I found there are at least 4
>    instance of postgres.exe running as NT services when
>    there is not connection. Each single one use different
>    amount of memory. Is that normal?

I haven't used the Cygwin version in a long time but given that there are
multiple pgsql instances running on my Linux box without connections I would
assume that this is the normal mode of operation under Cygwin as well.

> 4. The "stored procedure" term confused me. I did not see
>    any "create procedure" statement in the document. I
>    used a lot of procedures/packages in Oracle and MS-SQL.
>    Are there such things in PostgreSQL? How do I do that
>    in PostgreSQL? Just use "Function"?

Just use function. Same basic mode of operation but different name.

>    I could not find examples on how to call a "function"
>    like "Exec MyFunctionName(......)".

You treat functions as you would

> 5. I start PostgreSQL with the comman "pg_ctl start -D
>    /var/pgsql/data" I got the following message: It says
>    the database was not shut down properly? What I did
>    wrong? I shut down the database with this command
>    "pg_ctl stop -D /var/pgsql/data -m immediate" when no
>    connection exist.
>
>    $LOG: database system was interrupted at 2003-07-15
>          23:59:00 USMST
>    LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/8C17D0
>    LOG:  redo record is at 0/8C17D0; undo record is at 0/0;
>          shutdown FALSE
>    LOG:  next transaction id: 4428; next oid: 25168
>    LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic
>          recovery in progress
>    LOG:  ReadRecord: record with zero length at 0/8C1810
>    LOG:  redo is not required
>    LOG:  database system is ready

Are you still running under Cygwin? Does that work under Cygwin or do you
need to use the services control panel to start/stop? If you try to start
PostgreSQL and there is a .pid in the data directory then it will tell you
that the system was not properly shut down.

> 6. What kind of hardware configuration would you experts recommend
>    for application runnng on one stand along machine.
>     -- Critical but not 24x7
>     -- RedHat 8, 9?
>     -- PHP 4
>     -- Apache 2
>     -- PostgreSQL 7.3.3
>     -- ODBC
>     -- up to 1500 pages hit and 1000 database hit
>        select/update/insert) per minute.
>     -- Expect up to 1GB data in the first year
>     -- Expect to spend up to US $2000 for hardware (not
>        include monitor)

Hit eBay and you can get a decent dual-Xeon with a gig of RAM and some nice
SCSI drives w/ a RAID card.

> Can you image that I got my PostgreSQL setup and running in
> few hours. Cool!

Having software that "just works" is always nice. Certainly makes my life
easier.

rjsjr

Сообщение: Re: Postgresql "FIFO" Tables, How-To ?
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql "FIFO" Tables, How-To ?