Re: indexing

От Tim White
Тема Re: indexing
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Use an sequence.  Add the ID column to your create table statement and set
the default to use the next value from the sequence.  This will give each
entry a unique id number.  The syntax would be as follows.

create sequence customer_id start 1 increment 1 maxvalue 2147483647 minvalue
1 cache 1;

create table customer(
  cust_id int unique not null default nextval('customer_id'),
  last_name varchar(....
)

This will create a database sequence, and then each time you insert a
customer, if you don't specify a cust_id, it will default to the next value
in the sequence.

Tim White

----- Original Message -----
From: "si" <s@remail.net>
To: <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 9:04 AM
Subject: [ADMIN] indexing

> Hi,
>
> I am new to postgresql, Please can you guide me:
>
> I have created a table and I would like all the entries to be indexed with
a number when the data is entered into the database, hence giving it a new
id, every time some data is entered.

> e.g.
>
> I.D.    |   Name
> 1       |   Jack
> 2       |   Jill
>

> Does pgsql do this automatically? or do I have to create a seprate ID
field like above, and check the database each time the data is entered and
find out the highest number then increment it by 1 and then enter the data
with the incremented number.

> If it automatically indexes the names when they are entered in to the
database, Please can you show me how to find this index.

От: Jaume Teixi
Сообщение: Re: SOLVED: COPY doesn't works when containing ' ' or ' ' characters on db
От: Derek Neighbors
Сообщение: CHAR vs VARCHAR