indexing

От si
Тема indexing
Дата
Re: indexing  (Jeff Duffy <jduffy@greatbridge.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

I am new to postgresql, Please can you guide me:

I have created a table and I would like all the entries to be indexed with a number when the data is entered into the
database,hence giving it a new id, every time some data is entered.

e.g.

I.D.    |   Name
1       |   Jack
2       |   Jill

Does pgsql do this automatically? or do I have to create a seprate ID field like above, and check the database each
timethe data is entered and find out the highest number then increment it by 1 and then enter the data with the
incrementednumber.

If it automatically indexes the names when they are entered in to the database, Please can you show me how to find this

Thanks,
Si

Pick up your email anywhere in the world ---> http://www.remail.net