Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL

От Hagen Finley
Тема Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL
Дата
Re: Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL  (Thomas Markus <t.markus@proventis.net>)
Re: Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL  (Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de>)
Список pgsql-general

Hi,

I am using psql (8.2.15) and I would like to input German characters (e.g. ä,ß,ö) into char fields I have in a database. I am having trouble getting the CENTOS Linux OS I am using to input German characters via a (apparently supported) German Keyboard Layout. However, that might be a separate matter. When I typed the German into Notepad in Windows and attempted to cut and paste the words into an INSERT statement, the characters do not persist:

Daß becomes DaDa and Heißt becomes HeiHeit which falls short of what I was hoping for.

I am wondering if I need to enable an international character set within Postgres before the German characters will input properly? If so, it’s not clear from the documentation I have attempted to find how one enables other characters sets within Postgres? Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hagen Finley

Boulder, CO