Re: Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01/02/2012 11:13 AM, Hagen Finley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using psql (8.2.15) and I would like to input German characters

I am going to assume you are using a Postgresql 8.2.15 server(psql is
the client program for Postgres, I am being pedantic because it reduces
the confusion level:) )

> (e.g. ä,ß,ö) into char fields I have in a database. I am having trouble
> getting the CENTOS Linux OS I am using to input German characters via a
> (apparently supported) German Keyboard Layout. However, that might be a
> separate matter. When I typed the German into Notepad in Windows and
> attempted to cut and paste the words into an INSERT statement, the
> characters do not persist:

Not sure it would help, but if I had a choice I would use Wordpad.
Notepad tends to fairly brain-dead when handling text.

> Daß becomes DaDa and Heißt becomes HeiHeit which falls short of what I
> was hoping for.
>
> I am wondering if I need to enable an international character set within
> Postgres before the German characters will input properly? If so, it’s
> not clear from the documentation I have attempted to find how one
> enables other characters sets within Postgres? Any suggestions will be
> much appreciated. Thank you.

Using psql do a \l at the prompt. That will show what encoding the
database was setup with.

> Hagen Finley
>
> Boulder, CO

Thanks,