Re: Question about LWLockAcquire's use of semaphores instead

От Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro
Тема Re: Question about LWLockAcquire's use of semaphores instead
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> We would have to understand how the SGI code is better than our existing
> code on SMP machines.

there is a big problem with postgres on SGI NUMA architectures, on UMA
systems postgres works fine, but NUMA Origins need a native shared memory
management. It scales fine over old challenges, but scales very poorly on
NUMA architectures, giving fine speed-up only within a single node. For more
than one node throughput drops greatly, implementing Round-robin memory
placement algorithms it gets a bit better, changing from forks to native
sprocs(medium-weighted processes) makes it work better, but not good enough,
if you want postgres to run fine on this machines I think (it's not tested
yet) it would be neccesary to implement native shared arenas instead of IPC
shared memory in order to let IRIX make a fine load-balance.

I take advantage of this message to say that there is a cuple of things that
we have to insert on FAQ-IRIX about using 32 bits or 64 bits objects,
because it is a known issue that using 32 bit objects on IRIX do not allow
to use more than 1,2 Gb of shared memory because system management is unable
to find a single segment of this size.

Regards

Сообщение: Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL?
Сообщение: Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL?