Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От Sander Steffann
Тема Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs
Дата
Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs  (Chris Ruprecht <chris@ruprecht.org>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

> In a production environment I would always favor some
> kind of error protection. Either RAID 5 or RAID 1
> (mirroring).  A hardware RAID controller is faster than
> software RAID.

Considering the speed of CPU's and busses these days, software RAID can be a
lot faster than hardware RAID in many cases. I prefer hardware RAID myself
because of the simplicity (the OS doesn't need to know about the RAID
configuration), but I hear good results from people running on software
RAID.

Hope this helps you.
Sander.