Обсуждение: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah."
Дата:
Hi folks,

I have two options:
3*18 GB 10,000 RPM Ultra160 Dual Channel SCSI  controller + H/W Raid 5
and
2*36 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Dual Channel SCSI and no RAID

Does anyone opinions *performance wise*  the pros and cons of above
two options.

please take in consideration in latter case its higher RPM and better
SCSI interface.

Regds
Mallah.

--
Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
raid 0 (striping) spreads the load over multiple spindels, the same way raid 5
does. but raid 5 always needs to calculate parity and write that to it's
parity drive.

RPM isn't that critical, a lot depends on the machine, the processor and the
memory (and the spped with which the processor can get to the memory). I have
recently tested a lot of systems with some database benchmarks we wrote here
at work. We're not running Postgres here at work, sorry, these benchmarks are
of no use to Postgres ...
We we found is that a lot depends on motherboard design, not so much on drive
speed. We got to stages where we allocated 1.8 GB of RAM to shared memory for
the database server process, resulting in the entire database being sucked
into memory. When doing reads, 100% of the data is coming out the that
menory, and drive speed becomes irrelevant.

From tests I did with Postgres on my boxes at home, I can say: The more shared
memory you can throw at the server process, the better. Under MacOS X I
wasn't able to allocate more than 3 MB, Under Linux, I can allocate anything
I want to, so I usually start up the server with 256 MB. The difference? A
process which takes 4 minutes under Linux, takes 6 hours under MacOS - same
hardware, same drives, different memory settings.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Network Grunt and Bit Pusher extraordinaire

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
"Nikolaus Dilger"
Дата:
Mallah,

I agree with Chris.  The fastest is to have an in
memory database.

Raid 0 (striping) will speed up both reading and
writing since you have more available disk I/O
bandwidth.

SCSI320 in theory is twice as fast as SCSI160.  But the
bottleneck will be the throughput of the individual
disks.  15,000 rpm of course will be faster than 10,000
rpm.  More interesting then the rpm numbers itself are
seek time and transfer rate.

In a production environment I would always favor some
kind of error protection. Either RAID 5 or RAID 1
(mirroring).  A hardware RAID controller is faster than
software RAID.

For pure speed raw devices would be faster then file
systems.  However, PostgeSQL currently does not support
them.

Given your 2 choices b) should be faster.
a) 3*18 GB 10,000 RPM Ultra160 Dual Channel SCSI
controller + H/W Raid 5
b) 2*36 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Dual Channel SCSI and no
RAID

Option b) can be improved by using striping.  Save your
money on the SCSI Ultra320 since the disk can’t
transfer enough data anyway and buy more memory instead.

And finally good application design has a greater
impact on performance than a little faster hardware.

Regards,
Nikolaus Dilger

href="http://mail.dilger.cc/jump/http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html">http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html</a>

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
David Gilbert
Дата:

Nikolaus> SCSI320 in theory is twice as fast as SCSI160.  But the
Nikolaus> bottleneck will be the throughput of the individual disks.
Nikolaus> 15,000 rpm of course will be faster than 10,000 rpm.  More
Nikolaus> interesting then the rpm numbers itself are seek time and
Nikolaus> transfer rate.

More to the point, with current disks, SCSI160 needs 3 to 4 disks to
be saturated.  Don't buy 320 unless you have more than 4 disks.

Nikolaus> In a production environment I would always favor some kind
Nikolaus> of error protection. Either RAID 5 or RAID 1 (mirroring).  A
Nikolaus> hardware RAID controller is faster than software RAID.

I'm on a bit of a mission to stamp out this misconception.  In my
testing, all but the most expensive hardware raid controllers are
actually slower than FreeBSD's software RAID.  I've done my tests with
a variety of controllers with the same data load and the same disks.

As with any test, I have a theory: that the 2Ghz+ main processors of
modern machines so outstrip most raid controllers that it is faster to
perform the RAID on the main processor.  It is also lower latency
... and latency is what matters for advanced filesystems.

Nikolaus> For pure speed raw devices would be faster then file
Nikolaus> systems.  However, PostgeSQL currently does not support
Nikolaus> them.

This used to be true on machines with less processor power than disk
bandwidth.  It is likely no longer true.  To be more exact: yes,
filesystems have overhead, but the overhead is processor overhead
... of which (compared to disk bandwidth) you have lots.  OSs have
also become more efficient.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dgilbert@velocet.net             |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
"Hossein S. Zadeh"
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 23:03, David Gilbert wrote:

> I'm on a bit of a mission to stamp out this misconception.  In my
> testing, all but the most expensive hardware raid controllers are
> actually slower than FreeBSD's software RAID.  I've done my tests with
> a variety of controllers with the same data load and the same disks.

Hi there,
Interesting observation. But I am just curious; is this still valid when
you have a DB server with, say, 95+% CPU utilisation??!! (I guess we all
know that if one don't get high CPU utilisation on a DB server, either
the owner has had too much money, or the DBA has some fine tuning to
do).

Hossein

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
nikolaus@dilger.cc
Дата:
David,

The answer is always:  It depends.

Of course can software RAID be faster than hardware
RAID.  But then you are not comparing the best
offerings of each category.  Software RAID is usually
cheaper than hardware.  But again you may be able to
construct a product pairing where it is reverse.

However, my main point was to use RAID in a production
environment to protect against hardware failures.

raw versus file system is an old battle.  raw is faster
because it does not have the filesystem overhead.
However, raw is a little harder to administer.
Question is how much faster raw is and if it is worth
the trouble.  Numbers usually quoted are 10-20%. And
here things may be changing as operating systems and
chaching algorithems get better to mask the file system
overhead.  As I mentioned the question is mute for
PostgeSQL because raw is currently not supported.

Regards,
Nikolaus Dilger

From http://linas.org/linux/raid.html
If the RAID disk controller has a modern, high-speed
DSP/controller on board, and a sufficient amount of
cache memory, it can outperform software RAID,
especially on a heavily loaded system. However, using
and old controller on a modern, fast 2-way or 4-way SMP
machine may easily prove to be a performance
bottle-neck as compared to a pure software-RAID
solution. Some of the performance figures below provide
additional insight into this claim.

From
http://www.uni-mainz.de/~neuffer/scsi/what_is_raid.html
Hardware vs. Software RAID
Just like any other application, software-based arrays
occupy host system memory, consume CPU cycles and are
operating system dependent. By contending with other
applications that are running concurrently for host CPU
cycles and memory, software-based arrays degrade
overall server performance. Also, unlike hardware-based
arrays, the performance of a software-based array is
directly dependent on server CPU performance and load.

href="http://mail.dilger.cc/jump/http://daveg.ca">http://daveg.ca</a>                              |   are
> precisely opposite.  |

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
David Gilbert
Дата:

nikolaus> Of course can software RAID be faster than hardware RAID.
nikolaus> But then you are not comparing the best offerings of each
nikolaus> category.  Software RAID is usually cheaper than hardware.
nikolaus> But again you may be able to construct a product pairing
nikolaus> where it is reverse.

No... I admit... if you're willing to spend huge $$'s, there exist
hardware solutions that outpace software.  It usually means that you
have hardware that is more powerful than your main system, though.
Often more costly, too.

nikolaus> raw versus file system is an old battle.  raw is faster
nikolaus> because it does not have the filesystem overhead.  However,
nikolaus> raw is a little harder to administer.  Question is how much
nikolaus> faster raw is and if it is worth the trouble.  Numbers
nikolaus> usually quoted are 10-20%. And here things may be changing
nikolaus> as operating systems and chaching algorithems get better to
nikolaus> mask the file system overhead.  As I mentioned the question
nikolaus> is mute for PostgeSQL because raw is currently not
nikolaus> supported.

Well... I don't think your raw write performance (in, say, FreeBSD)
would be any more than 5% better than filesystem writing.  Old
filesystem overhead consisted of the in-order writes that were
required to update filesystem metadata... which (consequently) was
about 20% in-order (vs. un-ordered) writes.

Softupdates (FreeBSD) only requires 1%-ish (or less) in-order writes
(or to put it another way: 1% of writes chosen before they would
otherwise happen).

DAve.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dgilbert@velocet.net             |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
David Gilbert
Дата:

Hossein> On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 23:03, David Gilbert wrote:
>>  I'm on a bit of a mission to stamp out this misconception.  In my
>> testing, all but the most expensive hardware raid controllers are
>> actually slower than FreeBSD's software RAID.  I've done my tests
>> with a variety of controllers with the same data load and the same
>> disks.

Hossein> Hi there, Interesting observation. But I am just curious; is
Hossein> this still valid when you have a DB server with, say, 95+%
Hossein> CPU utilisation??!! (I guess we all know that if one don't
Hossein> get high CPU utilisation on a DB server, either the owner has
Hossein> had too much money, or the DBA has some fine tuning to do).

Typically, the limit on the speed of disk transactions in a modern
system is latency.  The amount of CPU required to perform a RAID 5
calculation is trivial and RAID 1 scheduling (done efficinetly) is
even less demanding on a CPU.

... the latency is the time between when we decide to do the action
and when it is able to be done (in this case).  In the software RAID-5
case, we need to schedule two reads, perform a caluclation when they
return and then schedule two writes.  This all happens within the OS's
decision to write a block and the block actually being written (and
it's why RAID 5 is very slow at writing).

RAID-1 writing is simpler ... the Os needs to schedule two writes
instead of one.

In the hardware case, the OS schedules a write, then it's transferred
to the RAID card ... where the RAID card must then schedule the reads
and writes.

... which is fine if the RAID card has sufficient buffer... but when
things approach saturation of the disk you start to get a number of
effects.

- if a read doesn't occur before the write must be flushed to disk,
  nothing is saved by not committing it immediately.

- The OS has a good handle on what the data represents and is likely
  flushing it fairly optimally.

Think: your primary CPU is 2Ghz (or more) and your main memory is 1G
(or more).  Your moderately expensive RAID card is a 100Mhz RISC chip
with 64M of memory.  How much is this helping?  Not much.

Remember: hardware RAID is simply RAID software running on another
processor.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dgilbert@velocet.net             |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
"Sander Steffann"
Дата:
Hi,

> In a production environment I would always favor some
> kind of error protection. Either RAID 5 or RAID 1
> (mirroring).  A hardware RAID controller is faster than
> software RAID.

Considering the speed of CPU's and busses these days, software RAID can be a
lot faster than hardware RAID in many cases. I prefer hardware RAID myself
because of the simplicity (the OS doesn't need to know about the RAID
configuration), but I hear good results from people running on software
RAID.

Hope this helps you.
Sander.

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
"Tim Lynch"
Дата:
operationally, disk subsystems trump software raid for primary dataset
storage:
battery backed cache - safety first.
portability - plug it into any other host, or more than one host on the scsi
bus (fc-al loop).

raid on a pci card or raid on the motherboard need not apply less they sport
battery and most don't. worst of both worlds imho, no protection of software
and the higher cost of hardware.

often software raid is used to mirror the boot disks for transparent boot
disk failover, while the primary dataset is on a hardware raid on a scsi bus
with two hosts for transparent host failover.

but the question, if i can restate it, was ``which is faster?''
-high algorithm overhead and slower devices
-low algorithm overhead and faster devices

did i miss some nuance of the original question? it seems obvious that lower
overhead and faster devices will be faster.

but it doesn't matter which one is faster. operationally, as long as the
performance is adequate, real disk subsystems are always preferred for
primary dataset storage.

:
: Considering the speed of CPU's and busses these days, software RAID can be
: lot faster than hardware RAID in many cases. I prefer hardware RAID myself
: because of the simplicity (the OS doesn't need to know about the RAID
: configuration), but I hear good results from people running on software
: RAID.
:
: Hope this helps you.
: Sander.
:
:
: ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
: TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
:
: http://archives.postgresql.org
:

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
SZALAI Karoly
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:43:56AM +0100, Sander Steffann wrote:
> > (mirroring).  A hardware RAID controller is faster than
> > software RAID.
> lot faster than hardware RAID in many cases. I prefer hardware RAID myself
> because of the simplicity (the OS doesn't need to know about the RAID
> configuration), but I hear good results from people running on software
> RAID.

yes, hw raid is simply, but it's slow.

i've tested it many brand machine. ibm serveraid card w/ raid5 is
about HALF speed than sw raid. according to bonnie++, debian,
2.4.19+grsec kernel.
the machine ibm xseries 255, 2 xeon mp cpus, 4x18G 10k rpm disk.
the bonnie tested with 6G files, 1.5G physical ram and 1G swap.

if somebody needs those results, i can send it.
--
CZW

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
Hi all,

On Monday 25 November 2002 05:43, Sander Steffann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > In a production environment I would always favor some
> > kind of error protection. Either RAID 5 or RAID 1
> > (mirroring).  A hardware RAID controller is faster than
> > software RAID.
>
> Considering the speed of CPU's and busses these days, software RAID can be
> a lot faster than hardware RAID in many cases. I prefer hardware RAID
> myself because of the simplicity (the OS doesn't need to know about the
> RAID configuration), but I hear good results from people running on
> software RAID.

Stability is an issue here. While the OS might get a code corruption in the
kernel by who-knows-what, this is less likely to happen in the on-board
memory (RAM/ROM) of the RAID controller.
If the system crashes for whatever reason, who knows what gets written back to
the disks. Most likely nothing, since the OS already died. Your RAID
controller will most likely still flush it's buffers back to disk and leave
everything as good as it gets.

just my 2c.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Network Grunt and Bit Pusher extraordinaire

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 23:03, David Gilbert wrote:

> I'm on a bit of a mission to stamp out this misconception.  In my
> testing, all but the most expensive hardware raid controllers are
> actually slower than FreeBSD's software RAID.  I've done my tests with
> a variety of controllers with the same data load and the same disks.

I agree 100%: hardware raid sucks.
We had a raid 5 Postgres server on midgrade hardware with 5 60gig 7200rpm
IDE disks (240 gig total) and the thouroughput was just as high (maybe 10%
less) than a single disk.  Same for the seek times.  CPU around 1Ghz never
hit more than 10% for the raid service.  Since very few databases are CPU
limited, this is a small price to pay.

We confirmed the performance results with heavy testing.  There is virtually
no disadvatage to software raid, just spend 10$ and get a 10% faster cpu.

The linux software raid drivers (and others I assume) are very optimized.
Not to sure about m$ but win2k comes with raid services, its pretty
reasonalbe to believe they work ok.

You can double the performance of a raid system by going 0+x or x+0 (eg 05
or 50).  just by adding drives.   This really doubles it, and an optmized
software driver improves the seek times too by placing the idle heads it
different places on the disks.

p.s. scsi is a huge waste of money and is no faster than IDE.  IMHO, scsi's
only advantage is longer cables.  Both interfaces will soon be obsolete with
the coming serial ATA.  High rpm disks are very expensive and add latent
heat to your system.  Western digitial's IDE disks outperform even top end
scsi disks at a fraction of a cost.  You can install a 4 drive 10 raid setup
for the cost of a single 15k rpm scsi disk that will absolutely blow it away
in terms of performance (reliability too).

Just remember, don't add more than one IDE disk on a raid system to a single
IDE channel!  Also, do not attempt to buy IDE cables longer than 18"..they
will not be reliable.

Merlin

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

От
David Jericho
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:16:35PM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> I agree 100%: hardware raid sucks.

I've been mostly ignoring this thread, but I'm going to jump in at
this point.

> We confirmed the performance results with heavy testing.  There is virtually
> no disadvatage to software raid, just spend 10$ and get a 10% faster cpu.

Define heavy testing.

I can do sequential selects on a low end PC with one client and have it
perform as well as an E10K. I could also fire up 600 clients doing
seemingly random queries and updates and reduce the same low end PC to
a smoldering pile of rubble.

It'd be easy to fudge the results of the "heavy testing" to match what I
wanted to believe.

> The linux software raid drivers (and others I assume) are very optimized.

As are the Solaris drivers, and many others. But there is more to a
RAID array than drivers. There's the stability of the controller
chipsets and the latency involved in getting data to and from the
devices.

Would you feel comfortable if you knew the state data for the aircraft
you're travelling on was stored on IDE software RAID?

Part of the point of hardware raid is that it does do a small set
of operations, and therefore far easier to specify and validate the
correct operation of the software and hardware.

> p.s. scsi is a huge waste of money and is no faster than IDE.  IMHO, scsi's
> only advantage is longer cables.  Both interfaces will soon be obsolete with
> the coming serial ATA.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of IDE RAID in the right locations,
but comments like this reflect a total lack of understanding what
makes SCSI a better protocol over IDE.

Disconnected operation is one _HUGE_ benefit of SCSI, simply being the
ability for the CPU and controller to send a command, and then both head
off to do another task while waiting for data to be returned from the
device. Most (that is most, not all) IDE controllers are incapable of
this. Another is command reordering (which I believe SATA does have),
being the reordering of requests to better utilise each head sweep.

This feature comes into play far more obviously when you have many
clients performing operations across a large dataset where the
elements have no immediate relationship to each other.

It is amplified when your database of such a size, and used in a way
that you have multiple controllers with multiple spools.

SCSI is not about speed to and from the device, although this does end
up being a side effect of the design. It's about latency, and removal of
contention from the shared bus.

Ultra/320 devices in reality are no faster than Ultra/160 devices.
What is faster, is that you can now have 4 devices instead of 2 on the
same bus, with lower request latency and no reduction in
throughput performance.

SCSI also allows some more advanced features too. Remote storage
over fibre, iSCSI, shared spools just to name a few.

> High rpm disks are very expensive and add latent heat to your system.

If you have a real justification for SCSI in your database server, you
probably do have both the cooling and the budget to accomodate it.

> Western digitial's IDE disks outperform even top end scsi disks at a
> fraction of a cost.

Complete and utter rubbish. That's like saying your 1.1 litre small
city commuter hatch can outperform a 600hp Mack truck.

Yes, in the general case it's quite probable. Once you start
shuffling real loads IDE will grind the machine to a halt. Real
database iron does not use normal IDE.

> You can install a 4 drive 10 raid setup for the cost of a single 15k
> rpm scsi disk that will absolutely blow it away in terms of performance

See above. Raw disk speed does not equal performance. Database spool
performance is a combination of a large number of factors, one being
seek time, and another being bus contention.

> (reliability too).

Now you're smoking crack. Having run some rather large server farms
for some very large companies, I can tell you with both anecdotal, and
recorded historical evidence that the failure rate for IDE was at
least double, if not four times that of the SCSI hardware.

And the IDE hardware was under much lower loads than the SCSI
hardware.

> Just remember, don't add more than one IDE disk on a raid system to a single
> IDE channel!  Also, do not attempt to buy IDE cables longer than 18"..they
> will not be reliable.

So now you're pointing out that you share PCI bus interrupts over a large
number of devices, introducing another layer of contention and that
you'll have to cable your 20 spool machine with 20 cables each no longer
than 45cm. Throw in some very high transaction rates, and a large
data set that won't fit in your many GB of ram.

I believe the game show sound effect would be similar to "Bzzzt".

IDE for the general case is acceptable. SCSI is for everything else.

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Bytecomm Pty Ltd

--
Scanned and found clear of viruses by ENTIREScan.  http://www.entirescan.com/