Re: DB Import Error...

От Gnanakumar
Тема Re: DB Import Error...
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> If you're upgrading to 9.0, I would start by following the
> recommended upgrade procedure and seeing whether these problems then
> exist in the new database.  Fixing old issues like this is one big
> reason for using the newer version of pg_dump.

How do I use the newer version of pg_dump (9.0.3 in this case) to take SQL
dump, when v8.2.3 is already installed in my server?  BTW, originally we've
installed v8.2.3 from the source (./configure, gmake, gmake install).  Even
if I try to install the new version 9.0.3 from source, will that not
overwrite existing directories, files, binaries, etc.?

Our current v8.2.3 setup:
Installation directory: /usr/local/pgsql
Port: 5432

Any procedure/steps/advice/suggestion to take dump using latest version of
pg_dump without disturbing old database cluster is appreciated.

NOTE: It's not one single database server, we've multiple onsite customer
servers that has to be upgraded, hence I would like to address this issue in
general.