Re: Multiple Order By Criteria

От Ahmad Fajar
Тема Re: Multiple Order By Criteria
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of J@Planeti.Biz
Sent: Rabu, 18 Januari 2006 07:23
To: Stephan Szabo
Cc: Josh Berkus; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Multiple Order By Criteria

I've read all of this info, closely. I wish when I was searching for an
answer for my problem these pages came up. Oh well.
Well, I think you have to know about btree index. Btree is good enough,
although it's not better. It will perform best, if it doesn't index
too many multiple column.
In your case, you have to consentrate on 2 or 3 fields that will
use frequently. Put the most duplicate value on the front and others
are behind.
Eq:
receipt, carrier_id, batchnum is the most frequently use,
but the most duplicate value are: carrier_id, receipt, and batchnum
so make btree index (carrier_id, receipt, batchnum).
Btree will not suffer, and we also will advantage if the table
have relationship with other table with the same fields order. We have
not to make another index for that relation.

Best regards,
ahmad fajar.