Обсуждение: Multiple Order By Criteria

Multiple Order By Criteria

От
J@Planeti.Biz
Дата:
I'm trying to query a table with 250,000+ rows. My query requires I provide 5 colums in my "order by" clause:

select
   column
from table
where
 column >= '2004-3-22 0:0:0'
order by
    ds.receipt desc,
    ds.carrier_id asc,
    ds.batchnum asc,
    encounternum asc,
    ds.encounter_id ASC
limit 100 offset 0

I have an index built for each of these columns in my order by clause. This query takes an unacceptable amount of time to execute. Here are the results of the explain:

Limit  (cost=229610.78..229611.03 rows=100 width=717)
  ->  Sort  (cost=229610.78..230132.37 rows=208636 width=717)
        Sort Key: receipt, carrier_id, batchnum, encounternum, encounter_id
        ->  Seq Scan on detail_summary ds  (cost=0.00..22647.13 rows=208636 width=717)
              Filter: (receipt >= '2004-03-22'::date)

When I have the order by just have 1 criteria, it's fine (just ds.receipt DESC)

Limit  (cost=0.00..177.71 rows=100 width=717)
  ->  Index Scan Backward using detail_summary_receipt_id_idx on detail_summary ds  (cost=0.00..370756.84 rows=208636 width=717)
        Index Cond: (receipt >= '2004-03-22'::date)

I've increased my work_mem to up to 256meg with no speed increase. I think there's something here I just don't understand.

How do I make this go fast ?

Re: Multiple Order By Criteria

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
J,

> I have an index built for each of these columns in my order by clause.
> This query takes an unacceptable amount of time to execute. Here are the
> results of the explain:

You need a single index which has all five columns, in order.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Multiple Order By Criteria

От
J@Planeti.Biz
Дата:
I created the index, in order. Did a vacuum analyze on the table and my
explain still says:

Limit  (cost=229610.78..229611.03 rows=100 width=717)
  ->  Sort  (cost=229610.78..230132.37 rows=208636 width=717)
        Sort Key: receipt, carrier_id, batchnum, encounternum, encounter_id
        ->  Seq Scan on detail_summary ds  (cost=0.00..22647.13 rows=208636
width=717)
              Filter: (receipt >= '2004-03-22'::date)

So, for fun I did
set enable_seqscan to off

But that didn't help. For some reason, the sort wants to do a seq scan and
not use my super new index.

Am I doing something wrong ?

>> I have an index built for each of these columns in my order by clause.
>> This query takes an unacceptable amount of time to execute. Here are the
>> results of the explain:
>
> You need a single index which has all five columns, in order.
>

> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: Multiple Order By Criteria

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> J,
>
> > I have an index built for each of these columns in my order by clause.
> > This query takes an unacceptable amount of time to execute. Here are the
> > results of the explain:
>
> You need a single index which has all five columns, in order.

I think he'll also need a reverse opclass for the first column in the
index or for the others since he's doing desc, asc, asc, asc, asc.

Re: Multiple Order By Criteria

От
Fredrick O Jackson
try adding the keyword 'date' before the date in your query.
I ran into this quite a while back, but I'm not sure I remember the solution.

wrote:
> I created the index, in order. Did a vacuum analyze on the table and my
> explain still says:
>
> Limit  (cost=229610.78..229611.03 rows=100 width=717)
>   ->  Sort  (cost=229610.78..230132.37 rows=208636 width=717)
>         Sort Key: receipt, carrier_id, batchnum, encounternum, encounter_id
>         ->  Seq Scan on detail_summary ds  (cost=0.00..22647.13 rows=208636
> width=717)
>               Filter: (receipt >= '2004-03-22'::date)
>

> So, for fun I did
> set enable_seqscan to off
>
> But that didn't help. For some reason, the sort wants to do a seq scan and
> not use my super new index.
>
> Am I doing something wrong ?

Дата:
I created the index like this:

CREATE INDEX rcbee_idx
  ON detail_summary
  USING btree
  (receipt, carrier_id, batchnum, encounternum, encounter_id);

Is this correct ?

How do I make a reverse opclass ?

>> > I have an index built for each of these columns in my order by clause.
>> > This query takes an unacceptable amount of time to execute. Here are
>> > the
>> > results of the explain:
>>
>> You need a single index which has all five columns, in order.
>
> I think he'll also need a reverse opclass for the first column in the
> index or for the others since he's doing desc, asc, asc, asc, asc.

>       match

Re: Multiple Order By Criteria

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 J@Planeti.Biz wrote:

> I created the index like this:
>
> CREATE INDEX rcbee_idx
>   ON detail_summary
>   USING btree
>   (receipt, carrier_id, batchnum, encounternum, encounter_id);
>
> Is this correct ?

That would work if you were asking for all the columns ascending or
descending, but we don't currently use it for mixed orders.

> How do I make a reverse opclass ?

There's some information at the following:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2005-10/msg00254.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-01/msg00121.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-06/msg00565.php

Re: Multiple Order By Criteria

От
J@Planeti.Biz
Дата:
I've read all of this info, closely. I wish when I was searching for an
answer for my problem these pages came up. Oh well.

I am getting an idea of what I need to do to make this work well. I was
wondering if there is more information to read on how to implement this
solution in a more simple way. Much of what's written seems to be towards an
audience that should understand certain things automatically.
>>   (receipt, carrier_id, batchnum, encounternum, encounter_id);
>>
>> Is this correct ?
>
> That would work if you were asking for all the columns ascending or
> descending, but we don't currently use it for mixed orders.
>
>> How do I make a reverse opclass ?
>
> There's some information at the following:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2005-10/msg00254.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-01/msg00121.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-06/msg00565.php

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend