Re: "Pg_restore -C" is not creating a database ( Was Create database bug in 8.1.3 ? )

От Milen Kulev
Тема Re: "Pg_restore -C" is not creating a database ( Was Create database bug in 8.1.3 ? )
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Great hint Tom!

 pg_restore  -C -Fc -d template1 < tdb1b.bak

Did the job.  Actually if I specify any other database I am getting the same result ;)
I wanted to use custom (-Fc) option to backup BLOB files.
Why should I use the output of pg_restore to restore my BLOBs (if it is possible at all)?
If it were the case I simply  would have used the plain text backup  (pg_dump -Fp  and then psql)...

Regards. Milen

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:45 PM
To: Milen Kulev
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] "Pg_restore -C" is not creating a database ( Was Create database bug in 8.1.3 ? )

"Milen Kulev" <makulev@gmx.net> writes:
>> I am  getting the commands you mention:
>> pg_restore  -C -Fc tdb1b.bak  1> OUT
>> Less OUT:

>> CREATE DATABASE testdb1 WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'UTF8'
>> TABLESPACE = tbs1; ALTER DATABASE testdb1 OWNER TO pg; \connect
>> testdb1 ...

>> , but testdb1  is NOT created !

Um ... you do realize that in this mode pg_restore just prints the SQL commands to its stdout?  You're supposed to pipe
them into psql if you want anything to really happen.  Or you can add a -d switch (usually "-d template1" when using
-C)
if you want pg_restore to connect to a database server and issue the commands directly.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq