Обсуждение: Regarding tables detach concurrently with run_maintenance_proc()

Regarding tables detach concurrently with run_maintenance_proc()

От
Durgamahesh Manne
Дата:
Hi Respected Team

By default proc() does not detach tables concurrently. How do we implement tables detach concurrently without blocking running sessions in prod.
why this is very critical to implement for pg_partman.
if this is not available yet on 5.1.0 then when can i expect to get it
if already there then please let me know the implementation of detaching tables concurrently
Any best way to implement the same please  with out concurrently how do we ensure data integrity and consistency

Regards
Durga Mahesh

Fwd: Regarding tables detach concurrently with run_maintenance_proc()

От
Durgamahesh Manne

Hi Respected Team

with pg_partman By default proc() does not detach tables concurrently. How do we implement tables detach concurrently without blocking other sessions
Here queries not using date column to detach tables with run_maintenance_proc() which is not using concurrently  based on the retention policy which leads to scan all available child tables hence need to trigger this proc with concurrently option to avoid blocking other child tables beyond rentention policy while running statements on them

Do we have any other alternative rather than using pg_partman()?

your response is valuable

Regards,
Durga Mahesh

Re: Fwd: Regarding tables detach concurrently with run_maintenance_proc()

От
Christoph Berg
Re: Durgamahesh Manne
> with pg_partman By default proc() does not detach tables concurrently. How
> do we implement tables detach concurrently without blocking other sessions
> Here queries not using date column to detach tables with
> run_maintenance_proc() which is not using concurrently  based on the
> retention policy which leads to scan all available child tables hence need
> to trigger this proc with concurrently option to avoid blocking other child
> tables beyond rentention policy while running statements on them

You might have more success by filing pg_partman issues at
https://github.com/pgpartman/pg_partman/issues

> Do we have any other alternative rather than using pg_partman()?

Well you can just run the same commands manually that pg_partman would
run.

Christoph

Re: Fwd: Regarding tables detach concurrently with run_maintenance_proc()

От
Durgamahesh Manne

On Fri, Jul 19, 2024 at 7:55 PM Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
Re: Durgamahesh Manne
> with pg_partman By default proc() does not detach tables concurrently. How
> do we implement tables detach concurrently without blocking other sessions
> Here queries not using date column to detach tables with
> run_maintenance_proc() which is not using concurrently  based on the
> retention policy which leads to scan all available child tables hence need
> to trigger this proc with concurrently option to avoid blocking other child
> tables beyond rentention policy while running statements on them

You might have more success by filing pg_partman issues at
https://github.com/pgpartman/pg_partman/issues

> Do we have any other alternative rather than using pg_partman()?

Well you can just run the same commands manually that pg_partman would
run.

Christoph

Hi
You might have more success by filing pg_partman issues at
https://github.com/pgpartman/pg_partman/issues     >>> okay
 My intention is to have any other extension other than pg_partman to manage table partitions manually

Regards
Durga Mahesh

Re: Fwd: Regarding tables detach concurrently with run_maintenance_proc()

От
Muhammad Imtiaz
Дата:
Hi ,

You can consider the pg_pathman extension.

Muhammad Imtiaz

PostgreSQL Technical Support Lead / Pakistan R&D

Mobile: +923345072521