Обсуждение: Description field for tables and views

Description field for tables and views

От
Kent Dorfman
Дата:
I think I already know the answer but asking here is probably quicker turnaround than researching it.

I've gotten into a "view bloat" scenario with many many custom views that I cannot remember what they actually do.  Is there any psql function/command to add a description field to a table or view definition in the system?  Would be nice to have a one line general text note capability to quickly see what a complicated view does when looking at the defintion via
# \dv+

Looks like the command has the field present, but not sure how to populate it.

am using PostgreSQL 13.xx in Debian.

Re: Description field for tables and views

От
Christophe Pettus

> On Jul 3, 2024, at 12:28, Kent Dorfman <kent.dorfman766@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there any psql function/command to add a description field to a table or view definition in the system?

Allow me to introduce you to my good friend "COMMENT":

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-comment.html

Re: Description field for tables and views

От
Guyren Howe
Дата:
Comment is probably what you’re looking for.

If you don’t want to use that: it’s a database. Make a table. Put whatever information in there that you need.

Either look up by view name, or schema + view name, or oid: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-oid.html

> On Jul 3, 2024, at 12:28, Kent Dorfman <kent.dorfman766@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think I already know the answer but asking here is probably quicker turnaround than researching it.
>
> I've gotten into a "view bloat" scenario with many many custom views that I cannot remember what they actually do.
Isthere any psql function/command to add a description field to a table or view definition in the system?  Would be
niceto have a one line general text note capability to quickly see what a complicated view does when looking at the
defintionvia
> # \dv+
>
> Looks like the command has the field present, but not sure how to populate it.
>
> am using PostgreSQL 13.xx in Debian.

Re: Description field for tables and views

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
Στις 3/7/24 22:28, ο/η Kent Dorfman έγραψε:
> I think I already know the answer but asking here is probably quicker
> turnaround than researching it.
>
> I've gotten into a "view bloat" scenario with many many custom views
> that I cannot remember what they actually do.  Is there any psql
> function/command to add a description field to a table or view
> definition in the system?  Would be nice to have a one line general
> text note capability to quickly see what a complicated view does when
> looking at the defintion via
> # \dv+
>
> Looks like the command has the field present, but not sure how to
> populate it.
>
> am using PostgreSQL 13.xx in Debian.
In addition to the COMMENT advised by PostgreSQL friends above, you
might put your schema into some version control system, such as git, so
you can have all the info : why something was added/changed, by whom,
what for, etc.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
  IT DEV - HEAD

Re: Description field for tables and views

От
Kent Dorfman
Дата:
On 7/3/24 15:30, Christophe Pettus wrote:

On Jul 3, 2024, at 12:28, Kent Dorfman <kent.dorfman766@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there any psql function/command to add a description field to a table or view definition in the system?
Allow me to introduce you to my good friend "COMMENT":
	https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-comment.html
Thanks for the hint!

It's the simplest and most direct solution.  Been typing SQL for 40 years and haven't had occasion to use COMMENT.  Is it SQL standard or postgres specific?  Am not a DBA by trade but an embedded systems guy.

Re: Description field for tables and views

От
Christophe Pettus

> On Jul 3, 2024, at 13:24, Kent Dorfman <kent.dorfman766@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it SQL standard or postgres specific?

It's not in the SQL standard (at the bottom of each page for each SQL command is a note regarding its relationship with
theSQL standard).  Other DBMS implement something similar, however.