Обсуждение: Doc: fix track_io_timing description to mention pg_stat_io

Doc: fix track_io_timing description to mention pg_stat_io

От
Дата:
Hi,

pg_stat_io has I/O statistics that are collected when track_io_timing is
enabled, but it is not mentioned in the description of track_io_timing.
I think it's better to add a description of pg_stat_io for easy reference.
What do you think?

Hajime Matsunaga
NTT DATA Group Corporation
Вложения

Re: Doc: fix track_io_timing description to mention pg_stat_io

От
Kashif Zeeshan

pg_stat_io has I/O statistics that are collected when track_io_timing is
enabled, but it is not mentioned in the description of track_io_timing.
I think it's better to add a description of pg_stat_io for easy reference.
What do you think?
Its always good to add new things.

Hajime Matsunaga
NTT DATA Group Corporation
Hi,

pg_stat_io has I/O statistics that are collected when track_io_timing is
enabled, but it is not mentioned in the description of track_io_timing.
I think it's better to add a description of pg_stat_io for easy reference.
What do you think?
Its always good to add new things.
Thanks for your positive comments.

Hajime Matsunaga
NTT DATA Group Corporation

Re: Doc: fix track_io_timing description to mention pg_stat_io

От
Melanie Plageman
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 5:06 AM <Hajime.Matsunaga@nttdata.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> pg_stat_io has I/O statistics that are collected when track_io_timing is
> enabled, but it is not mentioned in the description of track_io_timing.
> I think it's better to add a description of pg_stat_io for easy reference.
> What do you think?

Seems quite reasonable to me given that track_wal_io_timing mentions
pg_stat_wal. I noticed that the sentence about track_io_timing in the
statistics collection configuration section [1] only mentions reads
and writes -- perhaps it should also mention extends and fsyncs?

- Melanie

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-STATS-SETUP

Re: Doc: fix track_io_timing description to mention pg_stat_io

От
Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 27 Jun 2024 at 14:30, Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 5:06 AM <Hajime.Matsunaga@nttdata.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > pg_stat_io has I/O statistics that are collected when track_io_timing is
> > enabled, but it is not mentioned in the description of track_io_timing.
> > I think it's better to add a description of pg_stat_io for easy reference.
> > What do you think?
>
> Seems quite reasonable to me given that track_wal_io_timing mentions
> pg_stat_wal. I noticed that the sentence about track_io_timing in the
> statistics collection configuration section [1] only mentions reads
> and writes -- perhaps it should also mention extends and fsyncs?

Both suggestions look good to me. If what you said will be
implemented, maybe track_wal_io_timing too should mention fsyncs?

Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Microsoft

> > On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 5:06 AM <Hajime.Matsunaga@nttdata.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> >
> > > pg_stat_io has I/O statistics that are collected when track_io_timing is
> > > enabled, but it is not mentioned in the description of track_io_timing.
> > > I think it's better to add a description of pg_stat_io for easy reference.
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > Seems quite reasonable to me given that track_wal_io_timing mentions
> > pg_stat_wal. I noticed that the sentence about track_io_timing in the
> > statistics collection configuration section [1] only mentions reads
> > and writes -- perhaps it should also mention extends and fsyncs?
>
> Both suggestions look good to me. If what you said will be
> implemented, maybe track_wal_io_timing too should mention fsyncs?

Thank you both for your positive comments.
I also think your suggestions seem good.

Hajime Matsunaga
NTT DATA Group Corporation