Обсуждение: [MASSMAIL]Typos in the code and README

[MASSMAIL]Typos in the code and README

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
Now that the tree has settled down a bit post-freeze I ran some tooling to
check spelling.  I was primarily interested in docs and README* which were
mostly free from simply typos, while the code had some in various comments and
one in code.  The attached fixes all that I came across (not cross-referenced
against ongoing reverts or any other fixup threads but will be before pushing
of course).

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Вложения

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 2024-04-11 Th 09:05, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Now that the tree has settled down a bit post-freeze I ran some tooling to
> check spelling.  I was primarily interested in docs and README* which were
> mostly free from simply typos, while the code had some in various comments and
> one in code.  The attached fixes all that I came across (not cross-referenced
> against ongoing reverts or any other fixup threads but will be before pushing
> of course).

I have these covered:

src/test/modules/test_json_parser/README                  | 2 +-
.../test_json_parser/test_json_parser_incremental.c       | 4 ++--
src/test/modules/test_json_parser/test_json_parser_perf.c | 2 +-

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
David Rowley

Now that the tree has settled down a bit post-freeze I ran some tooling to
check spelling.  I was primarily interested in docs and README* which were
mostly free from simply typos, while the code had some in various comments and
one in code.  The attached fixes all that I came across (not cross-referenced
against ongoing reverts or any other fixup threads but will be before pushing
of course).

I see you've corrected "iif" to "if". It should be "iff".

David

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
Now that the tree has settled down a bit post-freeze I ran some tooling to
check spelling.  I was primarily interested in docs and README* which were
mostly free from simply typos, while the code had some in various comments and
one in code.  The attached fixes all that I came across (not cross-referenced
against ongoing reverts or any other fixup threads but will be before pushing
of course).

I see you've corrected "iif" to "if". It should be "iff".

Gotcha, will fix.  I opted for "if" due to recent threads where the use of
"iff" was discouraged due to not being commonly known, but that was in doc/ and
not code comments.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Typos in the code and README

Дата:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 03:37:00PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>     On 11 Apr 2024, at 15:29, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, 12 Apr 2024, 1:05 am Daniel Gustafsson, <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>
>         Now that the tree has settled down a bit post-freeze I ran some tooling
>         check spelling.  I was primarily interested in docs and README* which
>         were
>         mostly free from simply typos, while the code had some in various
>         comments and
>         one in code.  The attached fixes all that I came across (not
>         cross-referenced
>         against ongoing reverts or any other fixup threads but will be before
>         pushing
>         of course).
>

>     I see you've corrected "iif" to "if". It should be "iff".
>

> Gotcha, will fix.  I opted for "if" due to recent threads where the use of
> "iff" was discouraged due to not being commonly known, but that was in doc/ and
> not code comments.

I actually agree "iff" is just not clear enough.  "Iff" stands for "if
and only if" and maybe should be spelled out that way.

Re: Typos in the code and README

Дата:
On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 04:55:16PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 03:37:00PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> >     On 11 Apr 2024, at 15:29, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >     On Fri, 12 Apr 2024, 1:05 am Daniel Gustafsson, <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> >
> >         Now that the tree has settled down a bit post-freeze I ran some tooling
> >         check spelling.  I was primarily interested in docs and README* which
> >         were
> >         mostly free from simply typos, while the code had some in various
> >         comments and
> >         one in code.  The attached fixes all that I came across (not
> >         cross-referenced
> >         against ongoing reverts or any other fixup threads but will be before
> >         pushing
> >         of course).
> >

> >     I see you've corrected "iif" to "if". It should be "iff".
> >

> > Gotcha, will fix.  I opted for "if" due to recent threads where the use of
> > "iff" was discouraged due to not being commonly known, but that was in doc/ and
> > not code comments.
>
> I actually agree "iff" is just not clear enough.  "Iff" stands for "if
> and only if" and maybe should be spelled out that way.

Just to clarify, I think "if and only if" means "if A then B" and B can
only happen if A happens, meaning there are not other cases where B can
happen.  This latter part is what disinguishes "iff" from "if".

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 11/04/2024 16:05, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Now that the tree has settled down a bit post-freeze I ran some tooling to
> check spelling.  I was primarily interested in docs and README* which were
> mostly free from simply typos, while the code had some in various comments and
> one in code.  The attached fixes all that I came across (not cross-referenced
> against ongoing reverts or any other fixup threads but will be before pushing
> of course).

Here's a few more. I've accumulate these over the past couple of months,
keeping them stashed in a branch, adding to it whenever I've spotted a
minor typo while reading the code.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Вложения

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 12 Apr 2024, at 23:15, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> On 11/04/2024 16:05, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Now that the tree has settled down a bit post-freeze I ran some tooling to
>> check spelling.  I was primarily interested in docs and README* which were
>> mostly free from simply typos, while the code had some in various comments and
>> one in code.  The attached fixes all that I came across (not cross-referenced
>> against ongoing reverts or any other fixup threads but will be before pushing
>> of course).
>
> Here's a few more. I've accumulate these over the past couple of months, keeping them stashed in a branch, adding to
itwhenever I've spotted a minor typo while reading the code.

Nice, let's lot all these together.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 at 09:17, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> > On 12 Apr 2024, at 23:15, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> > Here's a few more. I've accumulate these over the past couple of months, keeping them stashed in a branch, adding
toit whenever I've spotted a minor typo while reading the code.

> Nice, let's lot all these together.

Here are a few additional ones to add to that.

Found with a manual trawl through git grep -E
'\b([a-zA-Z]{2,}[^long|^that])\s+\1\b' -- ':!*.po' ':!*.dat'

David

Вложения

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 14 Apr 2024, at 13:19, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 at 09:17, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>
>>> On 12 Apr 2024, at 23:15, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>>> Here's a few more. I've accumulate these over the past couple of months, keeping them stashed in a branch, adding
toit whenever I've spotted a minor typo while reading the code.

>> Nice, let's lot all these together.
>
> Here are a few additional ones to add to that.

Thanks.  Collecting all the ones submitted here, as well as a few submitted
off-list by Alexander, the patch is now a 3-part patchset of cleanups:

0001 contains the typos and duplicate words fixups, 0002 fixes a parameter with
the wrong name in the prototype and 0003 removes a leftover prototype which was
accidentally left in a refactoring.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Вложения

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
Richard Guo

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 8:26 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
Thanks.  Collecting all the ones submitted here, as well as a few submitted
off-list by Alexander, the patch is now a 3-part patchset of cleanups:

0001 contains the typos and duplicate words fixups, 0002 fixes a parameter with
the wrong name in the prototype and 0003 removes a leftover prototype which was
accidentally left in a refactoring.

BTW, it seems that 0001 needs a rebase over 9dfcac8e15.

Thanks
Richard

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Дата:
Hi,

Thanks for working on this!

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 at 15:26, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

toit whenever I've spotted a minor typo while reading the code.

> >> Nice, let's lot all these together.
> >
> > Here are a few additional ones to add to that.
>
> Thanks.  Collecting all the ones submitted here, as well as a few submitted
> off-list by Alexander, the patch is now a 3-part patchset of cleanups:
>
> 0001 contains the typos and duplicate words fixups, 0002 fixes a parameter with
> the wrong name in the prototype and 0003 removes a leftover prototype which was
> accidentally left in a refactoring.

I realized two small typos: 'sgmr' -> 'smgr'. You may want to include
them in 0001.

Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Microsoft

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 16 Apr 2024, at 15:37, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81@gmail.com> wrote:

> I realized two small typos: 'sgmr' -> 'smgr'. You may want to include
> them in 0001.

Thanks, I incorporated these into 0001 before pushing.  All the commits in this
patchset are now applied.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 at 20:13, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> Thanks, I incorporated these into 0001 before pushing.  All the commits in this
> patchset are now applied.

Here are a few more to see if it motivates anyone else to do a more
thorough search for another batch.

Fixes duplicate words spanning multiple lines plus an outdated
reference to "streaming read" which was renamed to "read stream" late
in that patch's development.

duplicate words found using:
ag "\s([a-zA-Z]{2,})[\s*]*\n\1\b"
ag "\s([a-zA-Z]{2,})\n(\s*\*\s*)\1\b"

David

Вложения

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 at 16:09, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are a few more to see if it motivates anyone else to do a more
> thorough search for another batch.

I've pushed these now.

David

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
Hello,

28.04.2024 11:05, David Rowley wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 at 16:09, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here are a few more to see if it motivates anyone else to do a more
>> thorough search for another batch.
> I've pushed these now.

Please look also at the list of other typos and inconsistencies I've found
on the master branch:
additional_notnulls -> old_notnulls (cf. b0e96f311)
ATAddCheckConstraint ->? ATAddCheckNNConstraint (cf. b0e96f311)
bt_page_check -> bt_target_page_check (cf. 5ae208720)
calblack_arg -> callback_arg
combinig -> combining
compaining -> complaining
ctllock - remove (cf. 53c2a97a9)
dabatase -> database
eval_const_exprs_mutator -> eval_const_expressions_mutator
ExecEndValuesScan - remove (cf. d060e921e)
get_json_nested_columns -> get_json_table_nested_columns
io_direct -> debug_io_direct
iS ->? IS (a neatnik-ism)
joing ->? join (cf. 20f90a0e4)
_jumbleRangeTblEntry - remove (cf. 367c989cd)
Mallroy -> Mallory
onstead -> instead
procedual -> procedural
psql_safe -> safe_psql
read_quoted_pattern -> read_quoted_string
repertiore -> repertoire
rightfirstdataoffset ->? rightfirstoffset (cf. 5ae208720)
Sincle ->? Since (perhaps the whole sentence could be rephrased)
sslnegotition=direct/requiredirectwould -> sslnegotiation=direct/requiredirect would
sslnegotitation -> sslnegotiation
walreciever -> walreceiver
xid_wrapround -> xid_wraparound

(some of them are located in doc/, so it's not a code-only change)
I've attached the patch for your convenience, though maybe some
of the suggestions are to be discarded.

Best regards,
Alexander
Вложения

Re: Typos in the code and README

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Fri, 3 May 2024 at 00:00, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> wrote:
> (some of them are located in doc/, so it's not a code-only change)
> I've attached the patch for your convenience, though maybe some
> of the suggestions are to be discarded.

Thanks. I was hoping you'd do that.

I pushed the patch after only adjusting the path in the docs which had
"module" rather than "modules".

David