Обсуждение: Exclude certain application pgaudit logging?

Exclude certain application pgaudit logging?

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
Currently, we use Object audit logging to capture all READ access to columns FOO_1, FOO_2 and FOO_3 in table BAR.SCRABBLE.  (They are the three columns have PII data.)

The problem is that the application legitimately reads these columns thousands of times per day.  Thus, the log fills up with meaningless data that swamps any legitimate invalid accesses.

Thus, I'd like to exclude reads from "Postgresql JDBC Driver".  (Currently, I filter that out using "grep -v" in a shell script that runs hourly from cron, but I find that unsatisfactory.)

Re: Exclude certain application pgaudit logging?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 2/6/24 10:11 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Currently, we use Object audit logging to capture all READ access to
> columns FOO_1, FOO_2 and FOO_3 in table BAR.SCRABBLE.  (They are the
> three columns have PII data.)

Using what audit software?

> The problem is that the application legitimately reads these columns
> thousands of times per day.  Thus, the log fills up with meaningless
> data that swamps any legitimate invalid accesses.

How do you know they are legitimate  requests?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Exclude certain application pgaudit logging?

От
Christophe Pettus

> On Feb 6, 2024, at 10:11, Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thus, I'd like to exclude reads from "Postgresql JDBC Driver".  (Currently, I filter that out using "grep -v" in a
shellscript that runs hourly from cron, but I find that unsatisfactory.)

pgAudit doesn't currently include filters by application name.  Philosophically, I don't think you want to filter on
applicationname, because it's a completely client-supplied string that could easily be spoofed.

Re: Exclude certain application pgaudit logging?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 2/6/24 10:18 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> On 2/6/24 10:11 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Currently, we use Object audit logging to capture all READ access to
>> columns FOO_1, FOO_2 and FOO_3 in table BAR.SCRABBLE.  (They are the
>> three columns have PII data.)
>

> Using what audit software?

Memo to self, read subject line.