Обсуждение: minor replication slot docs edits

minor replication slot docs edits

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Pursuant to a comment I made a few months ago[1], I propose the attached
changes to replication slots documentation.  In essence, I want to
explain that replication slots are good, and the max_size GUC, before
moving on to explain that the other methods are worse.

Thanks

[1] https://postgr.es/m/20230413111838.e7yxke2dtwrxw3qy@alvherre.pgsql

"Entristecido, Wutra                     (canción de Las Barreras)
echa a Freyr a rodar
y a nosotros al mar"

Вложения

Re: minor replication slot docs edits

От
Bharath Rupireddy
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 9:08 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Pursuant to a comment I made a few months ago[1], I propose the attached
> changes to replication slots documentation.  In essence, I want to
> explain that replication slots are good, and the max_size GUC, before
> moving on to explain that the other methods are worse.
>
> [1] https://postgr.es/m/20230413111838.e7yxke2dtwrxw3qy@alvherre.pgsql

Thanks for the patch. The wording looks good to me. However, I have
some comments on the placement of the note:

+   <para>
+    Beware that replication slots can retain so many WAL segments that they
+    fill up the space allocated for <literal>pg_wal</literal>.
+    <xref linkend="guc-max-slot-wal-keep-size"/> can be used to limit the size
+    of WAL files retained by replication slots.
+   </para>

2. I think the better place for this note is at the end after the
"Similarly, <xref linkend="guc-hot-standby-feedback"/> on its own,
without" paragraph. It will then be like we introduce what replication
slot is and why it is better over other mechanisms to retain WAL and
then caution the users of it retaining WAL.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: minor replication slot docs edits

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2024-Jan-16, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:

> Thanks for the patch. The wording looks good to me. However, I have
> some comments on the placement of the note:

Yeah, I considered this too, but I discarded the idea because my
impression of <caution> and <note> was that they attract too much
attention off the main text; it should be the other way around.  But
that's not really something for this patch to solve, and we use
<caution> boxes in many other places and nobody complains about this.
So I made it a <caution>.

> 2. I think the better place for this note is at the end after the
> "Similarly, <xref linkend="guc-hot-standby-feedback"/> on its own,
> without" paragraph. It will then be like we introduce what replication
> slot is and why it is better over other mechanisms to retain WAL and
> then caution the users of it retaining WAL.

Makes sense.

I have pushed it.  I made one other terminology change from "primary" to
"primary server", but only in that subsection.  We use "primary" as a
standalone term extensively in other sections of this chapter, and I
don't like it very much, but I didn't want to make this more invasive.

Another thing I noticed is that we could change all (or most of) the
<varname> tags to <xref linkend="guc-..."/>, but it's also a much larger
change.  Having (some of?) these variable names be links would be useful
IMO.

Re: minor replication slot docs edits

От
Peter Smith
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 9:49 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Another thing I noticed is that we could change all (or most of) the
> <varname> tags to <xref linkend="guc-..."/>, but it's also a much larger
> change.  Having (some of?) these variable names be links would be useful
> IMO.

+1 to do this.

IMO these should all be coded like <link
rendering looks much better with the GUC name using a varname font
instead of just plain text that <xref> gives.

I am happy to take on the task if nobody else wants to.

======
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia