Re: minor replication slot docs edits

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: minor replication slot docs edits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 9:08 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Pursuant to a comment I made a few months ago[1], I propose the attached
> changes to replication slots documentation.  In essence, I want to
> explain that replication slots are good, and the max_size GUC, before
> moving on to explain that the other methods are worse.
>
> [1] https://postgr.es/m/20230413111838.e7yxke2dtwrxw3qy@alvherre.pgsql

Thanks for the patch. The wording looks good to me. However, I have
some comments on the placement of the note:

+   <para>
+    Beware that replication slots can retain so many WAL segments that they
+    fill up the space allocated for <literal>pg_wal</literal>.
+    <xref linkend="guc-max-slot-wal-keep-size"/> can be used to limit the size
+    of WAL files retained by replication slots.
+   </para>

2. I think the better place for this note is at the end after the
"Similarly, <xref linkend="guc-hot-standby-feedback"/> on its own,
without" paragraph. It will then be like we introduce what replication
slot is and why it is better over other mechanisms to retain WAL and
then caution the users of it retaining WAL.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team