Обсуждение: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Atul Kumar
Дата:
Hi,

I have postgres 12 running in centos 7, recently I changed the authentication of entries of pg_hba.conf to scram-sh-256 for localhost.

Since then I have started getting the below error:

no pg_hba.conf entry for host "::1", user "postgres", database "postgres

The entry of pg_hba.conf is like below:

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

local   all           all                                          scram-sha-256

# IPv4 local connections:

host    all           postgres     127.0.0.1/32               scram-sha-256

What I am missing here, please suggest.

Regards,

Atul

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Andreas Kretschmer

Am 22.11.23 um 17:21 schrieb Atul Kumar:

> Since then I have started getting the below error:
>
> no pg_hba.conf entry for host "::1", user "postgres", database "postgres
>

> What I am missing here, please suggest.

that's sounds like an issue with IPv6. Do you use it? Disable it or add
an entry for it.

Regards, Andreas

--
Andreas Kretschmer - currently still (garden leave)
Technical Account Manager (TAM)

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
I have postgres 12 running in centos 7, recently I changed the authentication of entries of pg_hba.conf to scram-sh-256 for localhost.

I think you changed something else, at the same time.

Since then I have started getting the below error:

no pg_hba.conf entry for host "::1", user "postgres", database "postgres

The entry of pg_hba.conf is like below:

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

local   all           all                                          scram-sha-256

# IPv4 local connections:

host    all           postgres     127.0.0.1/32               scram-sha-256

What I am missing here, please suggest.

A definition for host "::1", user "postgres", database "postgres".  It's right there in the error message.

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/22/23 08:21, Atul Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have postgres 12 running in centos 7, recently I changed the
> authentication of entries of pg_hba.conf to scram-sh-256 for localhost.
>
> Since then I have started getting the below error:
>
> no pg_hba.conf entry for host "::1", user "postgres", database "postgres

The host is ::1 which IPv6 and your pg_hba.conf entry below is for IPv4.
You need to add IPv6 line.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Atul Kumar
Дата:
The entries that I changed were to replace the md5 with scram-sha-256 and remove unnecessary remote IPs.

But it has nothing to do with connecting the server locally with "psql -d postgres -U postgres -h localhost"

But when I try to connect it locally I get this error. So it is related to local connections only and when I pass the hostname or ip of the server it works fine without any issue.

Regards.

[...]

The error message is EXPLICIT, and DOES NOT LIE.  Either someone removed the ::1 entry, or you're now using IPv6.

[...]

Дата:
On 11/22/23 09:03, Atul Kumar wrote:
> The entries that I changed were to replace the md5 with scram-sha-256
> and remove unnecessary remote IPs.

FYI from:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-password.html

md5

     The method md5 uses a custom less secure challenge-response
mechanism. It prevents password sniffing and avoids storing passwords on
the server in plain text but provides no protection if an attacker
manages to steal the password hash from the server. Also, the MD5 hash
algorithm is nowadays no longer considered secure against determined
attacks.

     The md5 method cannot be used with the db_user_namespace feature.

     To ease transition from the md5 method to the newer SCRAM method,
if md5 is specified as a method in pg_hba.conf but the user's password
on the server is encrypted for SCRAM (see below), then SCRAM-based
authentication will automatically be chosen instead.

> But it has nothing to do with connecting the server locally with "psql
> -d postgres -U postgres -h localhost"

The error:

no pg_hba.conf entry for host "::1", user "postgres", database "postgres

says it does and the error is correct as you do not have an IPv6 entry
for localhost in pg_hba.conf. At least in the snippet you showed us.

> But when I try to connect it locally I get this error. So it is related

When you say connect locally do you mean to localhost or to local(socket)?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Atul Kumar
Дата:
I am giving this command
psql -d postgres -U postgres -p 5432 -h localhost
Then only I get that error.

but when I  pass ip or hostname of the local server then I don't get such error message
1. psql -d postgres -U postgres -p 5432 -h <ip of local server>
2. psql -d postgres -U postgres -p 5432 -h <hostname of local server>

I don;t get that error while using the above two commands.

Regards.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Am 22.11.23 um 18:44 schrieb Atul Kumar:
> I am giving this command
> psql -d postgres -U postgres -p 5432 -h localhost
> Then only I get that error.

so localhost resolved to an IPv6 - address ...

> but when I  pass ip or hostname of the local server then I don't get
> such error message
> 1. psql -d postgres -U postgres -p 5432 -h <ip of local server>
> 2. psql -d postgres -U postgres -p 5432 -h <hostname of local server>

resolves to an IPv4 - address. you can see the difference?

localhost != iv4-address != hostname with ipv4 address

Andreas

--
Andreas Kretschmer - currently still (garden leave)
Technical Account Manager (TAM)
www.enterprisedb.com

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Adrian Klaver

psql -d postgres -U postgres -p 5432 -h localhost
Then only I get that error.

so localhost resolved to an IPv6 - address ...

Yeah, you should take a look at:

/etc/hosts

In meantime include a  line for IPv6 in pg_hba.conf. where the address would be:

::1/128

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Atul Kumar
Дата:
Please can you share any command  for due diligence whether ip is resolved to ipv6 ?.

--
Andreas Kretschmer - currently still (garden leave)
Technical Account Manager (TAM)
www.enterprisedb.com

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Adrian Klaver

Please can you share any command  for due diligence whether ip is resolved to ipv6 ?.

This:

psql -d postgres -U postgres -p 5432 -h localhost

where pretty sure

/etc/hosts

is resolving localhost --> ::1

--
Andreas Kretschmer - currently still (garden leave)
Technical Account Manager (TAM)
www.enterprisedb.com

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Adrian Klaver

psql -d postgres -U postgres -p 5432 -h localhost
Then only I get that error.

so localhost resolved to an IPv6 - address ...

Yeah, you should take a look at:

/etc/hosts

In meantime include a  line for IPv6 in pg_hba.conf. where the address would be:

::1/128

Or you could change

host all postgres 127.0.0.1/32 scram-sha-256

host all postgres localhost scram-sha-256

Re: strange behavior of pg_hba.conf file

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Wed, 2023-11-22 at 23:33 +0530, Atul Kumar wrote:
> Please can you share any command  for due diligence whether ip is resolved to ipv6 ?.

Not a lot of diligence is due to figure out that you can use

  ping localhost

Yours,
Laurenz Albe