Обсуждение: Cross-Product JOIN?

Cross-Product JOIN?

От
Atomic_Sheep
Дата:
Hi, I'm reading the documentation and I'm trying to wrap my head
around this statement:

"Finally, NATURAL is a shorthand form of USING: it forms a USING list
consisting of all column
names that appear in both input tables. As with USING, these columns
appear only once in the
output table. If there are no common column names, NATURAL JOIN
behaves like JOIN ...
ON TRUE, producing a cross-product join."

Did it mean cartesian product and not cross-product?

Re: Cross-Product JOIN?

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
> On 24/05/2023 10:22 CEST Atomic_Sheep <atomic.sheep@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Finally, NATURAL is a shorthand form of USING: it forms a USING list
> consisting of all column
> names that appear in both input tables. As with USING, these columns
> appear only once in the
> output table. If there are no common column names, NATURAL JOIN
> behaves like JOIN ...
> ON TRUE, producing a cross-product join."
>
> Did it mean cartesian product and not cross-product?

Cross product means cartesian product in this context.  So technically correct.
Personally, I think it should read cartesian product because cross product is an
overloaded term and cartesian product is used more often in the documentation
overall.

But the same page [0] also uses cross product when talking about grouping sets.

The source code uses cross product in a couple of comments, though.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-table-expressions.html

--
Erik

Re: Cross-Product JOIN?

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
> On 24/05/2023 15:46 CEST Erik Wienhold <ewie@ewie.name> wrote:
>
> Personally, I think it should read cartesian product because cross product is
> an overloaded term and cartesian product is used more often in the documentation
> overall.
>
> But the same page [0] also uses cross product when talking about grouping sets.
>
> [0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-table-expressions.html

Here's a patch that fixes those two places.

--
Erik
Вложения

Re: Cross-Product JOIN?

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Wed, 2023-05-24 at 21:10 +0200, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> > On 24/05/2023 15:46 CEST Erik Wienhold <ewie@ewie.name> wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I think it should read cartesian product because cross product is
> > an overloaded term and cartesian product is used more often in the documentation
> > overall.
> >
> > But the same page [0] also uses cross product when talking about grouping sets.
> >
> > [0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-table-expressions.html
>
> Here's a patch that fixes those two places.

+1

"Cross product" seems to be a misbegotten hybrid of "cross join" and
"Cartesian product".

Since we are talking about Cartesian products: is the term "Cartesian join"
used anywhere?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Cross-Product JOIN?

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
> On 25/05/2023 06:52 CEST Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2023-05-24 at 21:10 +0200, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> > > On 24/05/2023 15:46 CEST Erik Wienhold <ewie@ewie.name> wrote:
> > >
> > > Personally, I think it should read cartesian product because cross product is
> > > an overloaded term and cartesian product is used more often in the documentation
> > > overall.
> > >
> > > But the same page [0] also uses cross product when talking about grouping sets.
> > >
> > > [0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-table-expressions.html
> >
> > Here's a patch that fixes those two places.
>
> +1
>
> "Cross product" seems to be a misbegotten hybrid of "cross join" and
> "Cartesian product".

Cross product can mean Cartesian product depending on the context. [0]

> Since we are talking about Cartesian products: is the term "Cartesian join"
> used anywhere?

Not in the docs:

    $ git grep -iw cartesian -- doc
    doc/src/sgml/cube.sgml:    the lower-dimensional one is assumed to be a Cartesian projection, i. e., having zeroes
    doc/src/sgml/perform.sgml:   would be inefficient, since the full Cartesian product of A and C
    doc/src/sgml/planstats.sgml:   Cartesian product of the two inputs, multiplied by the
    doc/src/sgml/queries.sgml:    (that is, the Cartesian product of their rows is formed; see below).
    doc/src/sgml/queries.sgml:        <replaceable>T2</replaceable> (i.e., a Cartesian product),
    doc/src/sgml/ref/select.sgml:    specified, the result is the Cartesian product (cross join) of all
    doc/src/sgml/ref/select.sgml:    Cartesian product.
    doc/src/sgml/ref/select.sgml:        Cartesian product (i.e., all combined rows that pass its join
    doc/src/sgml/ref/select.sgml:        They produce a simple Cartesian product, the same result as you get from

but in a few comments:

    $ git grep -i 'cartesian\(\s\+join\|\s*$\)'
    src/backend/optimizer/geqo/geqo_eval.c: * a cartesian join to be performed.  When force is false, do only
    src/backend/optimizer/path/joinrels.c:   * upper level, we must be willing to make a cartesian join of a and b;
    src/backend/optimizer/path/joinrels.c:   * cartesian joins in this case (no bushy).
    src/test/regress/expected/join.out:-- test for ability to use a cartesian join when necessary
    src/test/regress/sql/join.sql:-- test for ability to use a cartesian join when necessary

[0] https://mathworld.wolfram.com/CartesianProduct.html

--
Erik

Re: Cross-Product JOIN?

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Thu, 2023-05-25 at 08:59 +0200, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> > Since we are talking about Cartesian products: is the term "Cartesian join"
> > used anywhere?
>
> Not in the docs:

I was trying to be funny.  The Cartesian product of {Cartesian,cross} and
{product,join} would be {Cartesian product,Cartesian join,cross product,cross join}.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Cross-Product JOIN?

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
> On 25/05/2023 23:46 CEST Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 2023-05-25 at 08:59 +0200, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> > > Since we are talking about Cartesian products: is the term "Cartesian join"
> > > used anywhere?
> >
> > Not in the docs:
>
> I was trying to be funny.  The Cartesian product of {Cartesian,cross} and
> {product,join} would be {Cartesian product,Cartesian join,cross product,cross join}.

And someone beat you to it and apparently planted the joke in the codebase.

(Good one, but unfortunately hard to tell apart from a serious question.)

--
Erik

Re: Cross-Product JOIN?

Дата:
On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 09:10:37PM +0200, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> > On 24/05/2023 15:46 CEST Erik Wienhold <ewie@ewie.name> wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I think it should read cartesian product because cross product is
> > an overloaded term and cartesian product is used more often in the documentation
> > overall.
> >
> > But the same page [0] also uses cross product when talking about grouping sets.
> >
> > [0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-table-expressions.html
>
> Here's a patch that fixes those two places.

Patch applied to master, thanks.