Re: Cross-Product JOIN?

От Erik Wienhold
Тема Re: Cross-Product JOIN?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> On 24/05/2023 10:22 CEST Atomic_Sheep <atomic.sheep@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Finally, NATURAL is a shorthand form of USING: it forms a USING list
> consisting of all column
> names that appear in both input tables. As with USING, these columns
> appear only once in the
> output table. If there are no common column names, NATURAL JOIN
> behaves like JOIN ...
> ON TRUE, producing a cross-product join."
>
> Did it mean cartesian product and not cross-product?

Cross product means cartesian product in this context.  So technically correct.
Personally, I think it should read cartesian product because cross product is an
overloaded term and cartesian product is used more often in the documentation
overall.

But the same page [0] also uses cross product when talking about grouping sets.

The source code uses cross product in a couple of comments, though.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-table-expressions.html

--
Erik