Обсуждение: Certificate authentication docs in multiple places

Certificate authentication docs in multiple places

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
A couple of times recently I’ve been chatting with someone about using certificate authentication, and the docs they’ve
foundon it are the ones in section 21.12 (Client Authentication -> Certificate Authentication).

But the useful documentation about how to set it up and use it is in section 19.9.3 (Secure TCP/IP Connections with SSL
->Using Client Certificates), where you’re less likely to find it while thinking about authentication.

Should we add a link from the former to the latter?

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: Certificate authentication docs in multiple places

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 23.03.23 14:33, Steve Atkins wrote:
> A couple of times recently I’ve been chatting with someone about using certificate authentication, and the docs
they’vefound on it are the ones in section 21.12 (Client Authentication -> Certificate Authentication).

> But the useful documentation about how to set it up and use it is in section 19.9.3 (Secure TCP/IP Connections with
SSL-> Using Client Certificates), where you’re less likely to find it while thinking about authentication.

> Should we add a link from the former to the latter?

Sure, some cross-linking between those two sections seems sensible.

Re: Certificate authentication docs in multiple places

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 04:28:24PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Sure, some cross-linking between those two sections seems sensible.

Steve, would you like to propose a patch?
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Certificate authentication docs in multiple places

От
Steve Atkins

> On 10 Apr 2023, at 08:56, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 04:28:24PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Sure, some cross-linking between those two sections seems sensible.
>
> Steve, would you like to propose a patch?

Yes, I’ll do that once I get some time to get the doc toolchain working.

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: Certificate authentication docs in multiple places

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 09:47:08AM +0100, Steve Atkins wrote:
> Yes, I’ll do that once I get some time to get the doc toolchain working.

Well, if you don't want to spend time setting up a toolchain, feel
free to send a patch just hacking the SGML files.  I am OK to take it
from there, as long as the idea behind the patch is clear.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Certificate authentication docs in multiple places

Дата:
On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 04:28:24PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 23.03.23 14:33, Steve Atkins wrote:
> > A couple of times recently I’ve been chatting with someone about using certificate authentication, and the docs
they’vefound on it are the ones in section 21.12 (Client Authentication -> Certificate Authentication).

> > But the useful documentation about how to set it up and use it is in section 19.9.3 (Secure TCP/IP Connections with
SSL-> Using Client Certificates), where you’re less likely to find it while thinking about authentication.

> > Should we add a link from the former to the latter?
>
> Sure, some cross-linking between those two sections seems sensible.

Attached is a patch which accomplishes this.

Re: Certificate authentication docs in multiple places

Дата:
On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 05:28:04PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 04:28:24PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On 23.03.23 14:33, Steve Atkins wrote:
> > > A couple of times recently I’ve been chatting with someone about using certificate authentication, and the docs
they’vefound on it are the ones in section 21.12 (Client Authentication -> Certificate Authentication).

> > > But the useful documentation about how to set it up and use it is in section 19.9.3 (Secure TCP/IP Connections
withSSL -> Using Client Certificates), where you’re less likely to find it while thinking about authentication.

> > > Should we add a link from the former to the latter?
> >
> > Sure, some cross-linking between those two sections seems sensible.
>
> Attached is a patch which accomplishes this.

Patch applied back to PG 11.