Обсуждение: fully qualified domain names and .pgpass

fully qualified domain names and .pgpass

От
Ron
Дата:
Sometimes (both interactively and via script) I access a remote Pg server
via just the bare host name "foobar", and other times via the FQDN
"foobar.example.com".

I've only been able to get this to work by having two lines in the .pgpass file:

foobar:5432:postgres:Allegedly.Strong.Password
foobar.example.com:5432:postgres:Allegedly.Strong.Password

But I'd rather have only one line.  Is there any way to do that?

Re: fully qualified domain names and .pgpass

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2022-Oct-04, Ron wrote:

> Sometimes (both interactively and via script) I access a remote Pg server
> via just the bare host name "foobar", and other times via the FQDN
> "foobar.example.com".
>
> I've only been able to get this to work by having two lines in the .pgpass file:

Maybe it would be simpler to do this using a service definition in the
~/.pg_service.conf file.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgservice.html

Re: fully qualified domain names and .pgpass

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/4/22 10:02 AM, Ron wrote:

> Sometimes (both interactively and via script) I access a remote Pg
> server via just the bare host name "foobar", and other times via the
> FQDN "foobar.example.com".
>
> I've only been able to get this to work by having two lines in the
> .pgpass file:
>
> foobar:5432:postgres:Allegedly.Strong.Password
> foobar.example.com:5432:postgres:Allegedly.Strong.Password
>
> But I'd rather have only one line.  Is there any way to do that?

Would a service file:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/libpq-pgservice.html

work?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: fully qualified domain names and .pgpass

От
Jeffrey Walton
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 1:02 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometimes (both interactively and via script) I access a remote Pg server
> via just the bare host name "foobar", and other times via the FQDN
> "foobar.example.com".
>
> I've only been able to get this to work by having two lines in the .pgpass file:
>
> foobar:5432:postgres:Allegedly.Strong.Password
> foobar.example.com:5432:postgres:Allegedly.Strong.Password
>
> But I'd rather have only one line.  Is there any way to do that?

This is not a FQDN:

> "foobar.example.com".

A FQDN ends in dot '.' The dot denotes the top of the dns tree. So a
FQDN for the host would be:

    foobar.example.com.

Anyone who tells you any different has not read W. Richard Stevens :)

Jeff

Re: fully qualified domain names and .pgpass

От
Ron
Дата:
On 10/4/22 12:33, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2022-Oct-04, Ron wrote:
>
>> Sometimes (both interactively and via script) I access a remote Pg server
>> via just the bare host name "foobar", and other times via the FQDN
>> "foobar.example.com".
>>
>> I've only been able to get this to work by having two lines in the .pgpass file:
> Maybe it would be simpler to do this using a service definition in the
> ~/.pg_service.conf file.
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgservice.html

That did solve my problem:
pg_backrest --dbname=service=basebackup