Обсуждение: pg_waldump: add test for coverage

pg_waldump: add test for coverage

От
Dong Wook Lee
Дата:
Hi Hackers,
I wrote a test for coverage.
Unfortunately, it seems to take quite a while to run the test.
I want to improve these execution times, but I don't know exactly what to do.
Therefore, I want to hear feedback from many people.
---
Regards,
Dong Wook Lee

Вложения

Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 23.08.22 03:50, Dong Wook Lee wrote:
> Hi Hackers,
> I wrote a test for coverage.
> Unfortunately, it seems to take quite a while to run the test.
> I want to improve these execution times, but I don't know exactly what to do.
> Therefore, I want to hear feedback from many people.

I don't find these tests to be particularly slow.  How long do they take
for you to run?

A couple of tips:

- You should give each test a name.  That's why each test function has a
(usually) last argument that takes a string.

- You could use command_like() to run a command and check that it exits
successfully and check its standard out.  For example, instead of

# test pg_waldump with -F (main)
IPC::Run::run [ 'pg_waldump', "$wal_dump_path", '-F', 'main' ], '>',
\$stdout, '2>', \$stderr;
isnt($stdout, '', "");

it is better to write

command_like([ 'pg_waldump', "$wal_dump_path", '-F', 'main' ],
              qr/TODO/, 'test -F (main)');

- It would be useful to test the actual output (that is, fill in the
TODO above).  I don't know what the best way to do that is -- that is
part of designing these tests.

Also,

- Your patch introduces a spurious blank line at the end of the test file.

- For portability, options must be before non-option arguments.  So
instead of

[ 'pg_waldump', "$wal_dump_path", '-F', 'main' ]

it should be

[ 'pg_waldump', '-F', 'main', "$wal_dump_path" ]

I think having some more test coverage for pg_waldump would be good, so
I encourage you to continue working on this.

Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2022-08-23 10:50:08 +0900, Dong Wook Lee wrote:
> I wrote a test for coverage.

Unfortunately the test doesn't seem to pass on windows, and hasn't ever done so:
https://cirrus-ci.com/github/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/commitfest/39/3834

Due to the merge of the meson patchset, you should also add 001_basic.pl to
the list of tests in meson.build

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 06.09.22 07:57, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I wrote a test for coverage.
>> Unfortunately, it seems to take quite a while to run the test.
>> I want to improve these execution times, but I don't know exactly what
>> to do.
>> Therefore, I want to hear feedback from many people.

> I think having some more test coverage for pg_waldump would be good, so
> I encourage you to continue working on this.

I made an updated patch that incorporates many of your ideas and code,
just made it a bit more compact, and added more tests for various
command-line options.  This moves the test coverage of pg_waldump from
"bloodbath" to "mixed fruit salad", which I think is pretty good
progress.  And now there is room for additional patches if someone wants
to figure out, e.g., how to get more complete coverage in gindesc.c or
whatever.

Вложения

Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 14.06.23 09:16, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 06.09.22 07:57, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> I wrote a test for coverage.
>>> Unfortunately, it seems to take quite a while to run the test.
>>> I want to improve these execution times, but I don't know exactly
>>> what to do.
>>> Therefore, I want to hear feedback from many people.
>
>> I think having some more test coverage for pg_waldump would be good,
>> so I encourage you to continue working on this.
>
> I made an updated patch that incorporates many of your ideas and code,
> just made it a bit more compact, and added more tests for various
> command-line options.  This moves the test coverage of pg_waldump from
> "bloodbath" to "mixed fruit salad", which I think is pretty good
> progress.  And now there is room for additional patches if someone wants
> to figure out, e.g., how to get more complete coverage in gindesc.c or
> whatever.

Here is an updated patch set.  I added a test case for the "first record
is after" message.  Also, I think this message should really go to
stderr, since it's more of a notice or warning, so I changed it to use
pg_log_info.

Вложения

Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage

От
Tristen Raab
Дата:
Spec compliant:           not tested
Documentation:            not tested

Hello,

I've reviewed your latest v3 patches on Ubuntu 23.04. Both patches apply correctly and all the tests run and pass as
theyshould. Execution time was normal for me, I didn't notice any significant latency when compared to other tests. The
onlyother feedback I can provide would be to add test coverage to some of the other options that aren't currently
covered(ie. --bkp-details, --end, --follow, --path, etc.) for completeness. Other than that, this looks like a great
patch.

Kind regards,

Tristen

Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 29.06.23 21:16, Tristen Raab wrote:
> I've reviewed your latest v3 patches on Ubuntu 23.04. Both patches apply correctly and all the tests run and pass as
theyshould. Execution time was normal for me, I didn't notice any significant latency when compared to other tests. The
onlyother feedback I can provide would be to add test coverage to some of the other options that aren't currently
covered(ie. --bkp-details, --end, --follow, --path, etc.) for completeness. Other than that, this looks like a great
patch.

Committed.

I added a test for the --quiet option.  --end and --path are covered.

The only options not covered now are

   -b, --bkp-details      output detailed information about backup blocks
   -f, --follow           keep retrying after reaching end of WAL
   -t, --timeline=TLI     timeline from which to read WAL records
   -x, --xid=XID          only show records with transaction ID XID

--follow is a bit tricky to test because you need to leave pg_waldump
running in the background for a while, or something like that.
--timeline and --xid can be tested but would need some work on the
underlying test data (such as creating more than one timeline).  I don't
know much about --bkp-details, so I don't have a good idea how to test
it.  So I'll leave those as projects for the future.